• Slideshow Widget

    Visions of Sugar Plums : Things I Love About Christmastime III

    Sunday, December 21, 2008

    My family's favorite holiday movies. We will sit and see the traditional "Miracle on 34th Street", "It's a Wonderful Life", even "A Christmas Story". But by the time Christmas is over, we will have watched each of our favorite holiday films-starting with the one below.


    My father (and admittedly the rest of us) start off every Christmas season by watching this film. It satirizes the holidays in true Griswold style, making every holiday mishap possible. Doesn't it help put your own family Christmas into perspective?

    I was very young when this came out so I loved the notion of being left behind to fend for myself in a fabulous house, gorging on all sorts of sweets. My daughter loves this film as well, though for completely different reasons: she thinks she'd create more inventive ways to fight off the bad guys. Becuase of our mutual love for the film, we watch it every year.

    Allright, it's not exactly a "Christmas" movie, but it begins in the wonderful, wintry Christmas season and has that message of hope that Christmastime brings. It doesn't hurt that New York is used as a backdrop (which my mother loves).

    Oh, how I love, love, love, love this movie. Every actor, every character, every scene is just brilliant. I laugh and cry every single time I watch it. This is my favorite holiday film. Period.

    I know Denzel was involved with the remake, but there are some things that shouldn't be touched. This movie is one of them and it makes me happy to be surrounded by family everytime we bundle up to watch it. Add warm blankets and hot buttered rum to the mix and you have a picture perfect Christmas Eve.


    What do you and your family enjoy watching during the Christmas season?