• Slideshow Widget

    Visions of Sugar Plums : Things I Love About Christmastime Part II

    Saturday, December 20, 2008

    The Christmas Tea at Windsor Court in New Orleans

    My mother has hosted this tea at Windsor Court for the past twenty-five years. Though we've moved from our old neighborhood to the Northshore, our old neighbors attend with our newer ones. Friends from past and present, silver and gold.

    Until we moved to Charlotte, I, too, attended this tea. My mother and I shared other teas in Le Salon throughout the year, but Christmas was my favorite. Besides the stunning Christmas arrangements, there were the harpists, string trios, and pianists entertaining us with their Christmas music. The scones were enhanced with new, seasonal flavors, the sandwiches held cranberries. Even the beautiful tiered dessert platter held wintry concoctions certain to melt in your mouth. And have I mentioned this was where I had my first sip of champagne?

    I have memories from those teas that will last me a lifetime, and because of that, I treasure the teas I have with my own daughter. We'll have our own Christmas tea with my mother once she arrives on Monday. Certainly it won't be Le Salon, but it's the company that matters most.