• Slideshow Widget

    Houndstooth and Little Boys

    Friday, January 16, 2009

    When Sarah from Jeune Marie posted about her desire to use a houndstooth fabric in her new lady's study, I immediately thought of the cream on taupe that my mother purchased for me a few years back. Sarah was hoping to use a bold, feminine pink on white, but after reflection considered the exact fabric that we had made into curtains. Thank you for that, Sarah! It gave me the perfect inspiration for future usage.


    This fabric that was made into curtains? When our wee one is ready to move from his crib to a regular bed, these curtains are going to be transformed into twin duvet covers for his beds.

    Am I getting ahead of myself? Perhaps. But as many of my friends know, I am a planner and sometimes I do think years ahead. It's one of my many lovable quirks.

    Here is the inspiration picture for our little one's future room:


    Many of you will recognize this image from Domino magazine. The upholstered headboards with nailhead trim, the injection of unexpected, fun colors. It's energizing and quirky-perfect for my son. In certain aspects it's a bit bold for my tastes, but I love the concept. Colors and patterns can be suited to taste, so it's not a big deal.

    My question is...what sort of other fabrics and colors would you consider for our little boy's room? Like I said, planning way ahead is not out of character, and it will certainly make things easier when it comes time to make this change.

    Suggestions welcome!

    5 Responses to “Houndstooth and Little Boys”

    Sarah Danielle: Jeune Marie said...

    I think a heavy tweed fabric for the headboard would be a nice compliment to the houndstooth print duvet! Something to think about! I think textures would work well because they are more stain resistant (children do have Oopsies!). With all the houndstooth and tweed you could do an equestrian inspired hunting theme?? I'll do an idea board for you! (I too am a "plans way too far ahead" gal myself!)

    The Southern Lady said...

    Oopsies indeed. Our little guy is already proving to be all boy: enjoying the messiness of trying to feed himself, getting into any and everything. It makes cleaning up more time consuming these days, but it's worth it for the sheer enjoyment for the bebe.

    Your suggestions are fantastic and THANK YOU! Your idea boards always inspire (and leave me feeling a big on the giddy side!).

    I can't wait to see what you create, Sarah. It's so good to know another girl that appreciates planning ahead.

    Sarah Danielle: Jeune Marie said...

    New post doll, check it out! :)

    The Southern Lady said...

    I saw and just adore every little morsel, Sarah. Many thanks.

    As soon as I show husband this evening I'll be picking up those Etsy finds (fabulous!). I think Mother and I will hunt for two trunks (steamer or otherwise) while she's up here next month for my birthday.

    Thank you again for such a stylish, boy-friendly, equestrian inspired room.

    Ruth said...

    For steamer trunks make sure to check out thrift stores. We randomly wandering into one in Virginia one day and found some great ones. One even had the stickers still on it. Don't know what it looks like now as it has been in the attic for years.
    I saw something in BHG a couple years ago. I think I kept it if I did I will scan and e-mail to you. It would be better than me describing. :)