• Slideshow Widget

    Baby's First Haircut

    Tuesday, July 14, 2009

    Well, I'm still a little heartbroken. He's had his first haircut. I'm taking a little comfort knowing he was just as against it as I was. There was mild protesting. But the end result...we'll get there.

    My wee one looks just a little older, maybe because of his lack of curl-the first hairs he grew in as a babe. But I can't say he doesn't look absolutely precious because he really, really does.

    Seeing his face without having to push back said hair is nice. I do love to see those dimpled cheeks and shining brown eyes.

    The experience was a good one and our stylist was so kind. She made the first haircut experience a very good one. But before we get to that story and the after pictures, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on what my little boy looked like before. So let's take this time to celebrate the wee one and his dearly departed curls.

    That morning...

    D20_5559a

    and right before he was to sit for his stylist.

    D20_5922

    I don't know about you, but when you have a petite that wiggles more than jello, I want someone who knows what they're doing handling my child's first haircut. Praise God we found just that person.

    The wee one, eldest, and I arrived at "Pigtails & Crewcuts" shortly before his snack. It was a sweet children's hair salon.

    D20_5912a

    We had a little bit of a wait, but no one was complaining. There were books to read and trains to play with.

    D20_5913

    D20_5919

    Someone was just delighted.

    D20_5921

    Eldest was happily playing with him while I snapped a picture or two around the salon, which was also nice.

    D20_5929

    D20_5923

    I don't think the wee one even noticed I was more than ten feet from him. After all, there were trains! What he did notice, however, was being placed into his little "Taxi" once his name was called.

    He loved this, too.

    D20_5937

    I'm still not sure how, but he knew just how to use the steering wheel. Something that is encoded in the male DNA perhaps?

    D20_5938

    My sweet boy enjoyed his play and while he was continuing to steer, his stylist came to drape his over-sized bib on him. He remained calm, though you could tell he was slowly becoming suspicious of the entire situation.

    D20_5940

    Then the haircut was underway...

    D20_5941

    Obviously the wee one was very uneasy with the situation. Someone was messing with his hair in an unfamiliar setting. But he was doing well...until the final minute of his two minute haircut.

    D20_5939

    I'm sure our stylist was very used to small ones being a little upset during their first haircut. And to give credit where it is due, the little guy really didn't fuss too much until the very, very end.

    D20_5944

    But once he had his pacifier in place, everything was good as gold once more.

    D20_5942

    I really missed his curls...

    D20_5948

    but the truth is undeniable. No matter how much older he looks, his little face looks even more wonderful now that I can always see it. The lack of mop really does help, though I can't help but yearn a little for the next few months to show us how his hair will grow.

    Will the curls return? Or will the little keepsake bag of his shorn locks be the last we'll ever see of them? Time will tell, but for now, the happy after pictures of the wee one.

    Doesn't he look adorable?

    D20_5968

    D20_5963

    Well, friends, we're starting early today. It's Bastille Day and since I'm a bit of a francophile (and eldest is growing into one) we're going to celebrate with an early repast at Amelie's today.

    It's sure to be yummy! Of course, the imporatnt question is this:

    Sandwich or tartine?

    Care to help a girl decide?

    6 Responses to “
    Baby's First Haircut

    Ruth said...

    How cute!

    The Southern Lady said...

    Thank you, Ruth! I'm still getting used to it. I have how he used to look stuck in my mind and when I see him, it's a little startling.

    But so darling, too.

    owensruth said...

    I know it is a little different. he looks so cute both ways though.

    The Southern Lady said...

    Agreed! Just a little bigger now.

    pinkfluffydust said...

    Both your children are just so beautiful, and they seem so sweet.

    Such blessings!

    - Maja.

    The Southern Lady said...

    Maja, it is so good to hear from you. I hope you're doing well.

    Thank you so much for your kind words. Take care!