• Slideshow Widget

    Visiting Miss. Issippi

    Monday, August 10, 2009

    We left early Saturday morning from Charlotte, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

    D20_6641

    The trip went beautifully, but I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see this sign.

    D20_6696

    For a ten hour trip, it went by relatively quick and the children were fantastic. The wee one was did much better than expected.

    D20_6658

    It wasn't until the final hour into our drive that he began to get visibly upset, so we were definitely happy to be back in this hilly state.

    My husband and I cheered, eldest clapped. Our little butter bean even blew kisses when we crossed the state line.

    Because you see what's written on the sign? How it's like coming home? It really was. In my heart New Orleans will forever be my actual home, my first. But Mississippi-Oxford more specifically-will always be my second.

    This warmth of familiarity swept over me and for a moment, I really thought I would cry. It felt that good to be back.

    Our trip to Mississippi was a very scenic one. Traveling through some of the most beautiful states our country has to offer is always a treat-no matter the circumstances.

    South Carolina seemed to fly by. There were the expected outlets but what continued to catch my attention were the signs for Abbot Farms.

    D20_6654

    The signs were everywhere and seemed to follow us from the top to bottom of the state. My mouth watered at what they were offering: muffins, marmalade, jelly, fresh peaches, and cider. Peach cider.

    Have you all ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't, but it sounded delicious!

    By the time we'd reached Gaffney we saw just how much South Carolina loved their peaches (though I was under the impression Georgia held that monopoly).

    D20_6652

    In any case, we saw other signs for peanuts-boiled and shelled, watermelon as well. It was enough to make this Southern Lady want to pull over and grab several of each.

    But there was the drive to consider...so we didn't.

    Eldest sat with the wee one for two-thirds of the trip, switching once with me. So if you want to know what our little guy was up to, here's a few hints:

    There was plenty of this,

    D20_6664

    and this.

    D20_6660

    Husband kept a good eye on all of us.

    D20_6671

    There were even moments when I was able to kick back and enjoy several good magazines.

    D20_6689

    It's made me much more optimistic about our return to Charlotte. For now, though, I'm not going to think much about going back. I'm going to focus on being here, with my brother and sister-in-law and my nephews. We're having the best time and there are plenty of things I cannot wait to share with you all.

    Tomorrow we leave for Oxford to see my parents and visit our college, Ole Miss. Everyone is very excited. Our college town of Oxford has grown exponentially in the past few years, but the charm remains-which is part of the appeal.

    I'll have more on that later, though. Don't y'all worry. Until then, I'll leave everyone with a rousing Hotty Toddy!

    Enjoy your week ahead.

    3 Responses to “
    Visiting Miss. Issippi

    owensruth said...

    It is great to know that y'all are in Mississippi.
    It was great seeing you last night.

    The Southern Lady said...

    It was a wonderful evening! Thank you for a great dinner-it was the best.

    We'll see you later this week.

    Lori Ellen said...

    I have the same reaction every time I go back. Lump in my throat, tears in my eyes. There's no place like home...I mean Oxford...I mean home. I'm so jealous!!