• Slideshow Widget

    Ten

    Friday, October 30, 2009

    Today my husband and I celebrate ten years of marriage.

    It's been ten wonderful years, not always easy, sometimes hard, but never regrettable. There is no moment I would change as each has brought us to where we are today. And this is a very good place to be.

    We've learned so much. As a team, we have grown together, brought life into the world, grieved losses, celebrated triumphs.

    In honor of this special day, I'd love to share some of the moments from our wedding evening.

    I was trying to figure out what to write, but each time I started, it didn't seem to come out quite right. Maybe it's because this was a once in a lifetime event, and the feelings and thoughts shared in those moments just can't be adequately put into words.

    At least by me. I feel if I try it will take away from our wedding day. Therefore, I'll leave most of the "words" to the pictures, with a little commentary from yours truly, The Bride, when necessary.

    So let's start at the beginning, shall we?

    The ladies, my lovely attendants, Liz, her twin sister, Jen, Ruth, and Renee and I readied ourselves at the Barksdale Isom House.

    scan0014

    Being a generous Bride, I'd asked them to choose a dress they'd love to wear, and the deep forest green was perfect for our Fall nuptials. They're gorgeous girls, aren't they?

    Bride and Maids

    Even the pumpkins loved them.

    The Girls

    We prepared for the evening ceremony, and I had a Father-Daughter moment as I fastened my Daddy's boutonniere.

    scan0033

    Meanwhile, my husband-to-be and his groomsmen prepared as well. Handsome lot, aren't they?

    scan0015

    Soon we were all ready, and the ladies and I entered our limo that would take us to the church.

    scan0022

    Little known fact, my boquet held my brother's baby booties. It was very precious to me.

    Also precious are these four girls. I was anxious, my heart pounding, and they helped soothe me before I walked down the isle.

    scan0031

    They kept the mood light by singing "The X-Files" theme song. Nothing sitrs up humor like singing that peculiar tune. Trust me. We were all in stiches as the entrance to the church opened to welcom us in.

    scan0029

    Before I knew it, the Concert Singers lifted us all in glorious song, our string quartet began to play, and within joyous tear-filled minutes, we were married.

    This was exactly how we felt.

    So Happy

    Elated. Hopeful. Content.

    Our parents shared in our joy,

    scan0017

    though our father's tired their best to remain stoic. Daddy and Daddy John were the warmest, loving father's to give away their children.

    scan0011

    We love them, our mothers, and other family and friends for honoring us with their love and support that evening, and in the years since.

    It gave way to the merriment of the evening as it kicked into high gear, and soon, our reception was underway. Did I mention it was the evening of the Ole Miss-LSU game?

    We won.

    scan0028

    scan0024

    scan0018

    scan0020

    scan0019

    scan0030

    scan0021

    scan0025

    Beat the Tigers!

    scan0012

    It was a beautiful night-one that went far too quickly. We had the best people to spend it with, though, so I can't complain.

    Eventually my garter was thrown, my secondary bouquet launched,

    scan0026

    and my husband and I were off in a shower of bubbles-heading towards our future.

    scan0027

    No one could have told us what the future had in store, and for that I'm grateful. Who likes to know the ending to the story before it even begins?

    scan0032

    Certainly not me. But I'm very lucky to have this guy by my side as we make it through the pages.

    Happy Anniversary, Shannon. I love you. For ten years, forever.

    2 Responses to “
    Ten

    Ruth said...

    It was a beautiful day and evening! I was and still am honored you chose me to be a part of it. And you learned how much I truly love you, the four slip knots that went into my hair for that do.
    OH and don't forget our amazement at the lights on the ceiling of the limo changing colors. I will never forget the look Shannon gave us when we told him on the way to the reception. I know that night he realized we were all a tad crazy.
    I wish you many more wonderful years.
    love,
    R

    Sarah - La Jeune Marie said...

    I am literally in tears right now! Such an amazingly beautiful wedding. I just adore you two and I hardly "know" you! Mazel tov! You are an incredible couple!