• Slideshow Widget

    Fifth Grade

    Wednesday, September 1, 2010

    Today was the first day of school. And from the top of her pretty head to the bottom of her fresh new kicks, Eldest was ready.

    D20_9548

    Myself...not so much. You would think after nearly seven years of sending her to school I would be used to it. But I'm not. Every year these first days tug at my heartstrings like it's the first time all over again.

    It's a joyous and difficult thing to watch your children grow. You want so much to see them flourish into the wonderful people they are going to be, but at the same time you want to hold fast to them-just like you did when they were little ones.
    Today there wasn't too much time to dwell, though at times I really missed Eldest's presence. The wee one did, too. He felt her absence in a big way.

    Eldest marked her first day of fifth grade with a markedly calm attitude. She was optimistic and looking forward to rejoining the students she'd met at Monday's orientation.

    I was surprised to see her so composed, but then, I had prayed for it. I'd prayed for God to protect her heart, guide her, and lift her spirits. I had prayed very hard for this day to be a good one for her.

    She was ready, though. Ready to make new friends, ready to be in her second favorite place in the world (school). She was ready to start her new journey and do it on her own terms.

    This meant a quiet good-bye filled with hugs and kisses before leaving for the day.

    We took our new route, walking from our apartment past the Russian embassy to her bus stop.

    D20_9545

    We were all there-Husband, myself, and the ever-alert scallywag.

    D20_9552

    Sweet boy was wearing a school shirt-showing full support for his sister and the mighty Mustangs!

    D20_9549

    We arrived at the bus stop by the Embassy, waiting while other students arrived. The bus showed up seemingly seconds later, but I know it wasn't that quick. Time just passes faster as your children grow. Everything seems to speed by.

    Eldest approached the bus with her peers, and it was as if she'd been doing it her whole life.

    D20_9555

    D20_9556

    D20_9558

    She was certainly more composed than I was-nearly bursting into tears as the bus pulled away.

    That was hard to watch.

    I'm glad the wee one is still at home with me to keep me so very busy. I'm thankful that I had a generous girlfriend meet up with me for coffee. I was thankful for the kind thoughts from friends back home and everyone cheering on Eldest as she began this new school year.

    It was a big day for her.

    And you know what?

    My heart is bursting from the seams since she had the best time! She was so excited she texted us the moment she was on the bus ride home. She could not contain herself. Eldest just had to tell myself and Husband all about her new friends, her teachers, and her classes.

    If you'd continue to keep Eldest in your thoughts and prayers as she dives into the school year, we would greatly appreciate it.

    It's going to be a good year friends! I can feel that nothing but good things lie ahead for her~and I can't wait to share it all with you.

    3 Responses to “
    Fifth Grade

    Ruth said...

    Wow! Fifth grade, I can't believe she is olde enough for that. And it is so weird not to see her wearing a uniform too.

    Meg said...

    Elizabeth,

    I felt like I was right there with you for Maddie's first day of school! I know it's hard but think about all of the stories she will come back with that she will share with you at the end of the day!

    Meg

    Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

    I've just found your blog and it has such a fun twist... the south takes Tokyo by storm -- I'm sure you'll leave a definite mark on each other!

    It's neat to see how similar the first day of school is no matter the culture.

    Your children are beautiful!