• Slideshow Widget

    The Scallywag's Sri Lankan Wall Art

    Sunday, September 12, 2010

    I always find it funny when people say that this place isn't really interesting, or there's nothing much to see at that place. Maybe I'm very short on excitement in my life, but I'm a culture nerd. Any chance I get to explore my surroundings I'll take it~especially as we're currently living abroad.

    We're surrounded by great opportunities and festivities, it would be silly to not take as many in as possible.

    This weekend the children and I went to enjoy a Sri Lankan festival.

    D20_9945

    True, there was an overload on tchotchkes, but there were also intriguing sights and sounds we'd never seen before. We'd never tasted their cuisine and wandered among some of their people. The dances, the music, the traditional sari's~they were stunning and bright.

    It was a unique experience, and though we left hot and tired, we were happy we went.

    D20_9928

    I'll touch more upon the actual festival later this week. For now I'd like to show you the pretty batik I picked up for the wee scallywag's bedroom.

    As I mentioned, there were many tents selling traditional Sri Lankan wares: scarves, linens, foods, jewelry. There was only one art tent, though. I couldn't help but be drawn to it.

    It was near the edge of the festival, almost near an exit. Maybe it wasn't what tourists or the locals were looking for, but for whatever reason, it wasn't near the more widely walked areas.

    Ah well. Their loss, our gain.

    When we arrived at the tent, my eyes lit almost immediately on a beautiful batik with birds.

    D20_9996

    The colors were warm and rich. Vivid. Right away I knew where it had to go-the scallywag's room.

    Bargaining was done, payment made, and before I knew it, the batik was ours! It's so neat to think about the pieces we're collecting-what they mean to us, why we decided to get them. Their provenance.

    All that aside, it was also very cool looking and reminded me of my little guy: wild, colorful, beautiful.

    D20_9998

    And there are two sides!

    D20_9995

    I'm pretty sure I want to have the batik-wrinkled fabric and all-in an easily assembled frame so I can switch the sides around every now and then.

    A seasonal switcheroo, if you will. His art will change just as much as he will-which I suppose is very fitting.

    Well friends, I'm off to grab a cup of coffee, take in a little quiet time, and this evening, work on my Seoul posts a bit more.

    Take care and have a lovely day!

    3 Responses to “
    The Scallywag's Sri Lankan Wall Art

    paula said...

    looks like such a wonderful time.

    Anna said...

    Such beautiful colors and textures!

    Ruth said...

    I love it! And I can't wait to see how it looks in his room.