• Slideshow Widget

    A Work In Progress

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010

    Hello all!

    I haven't fallen off the face of the planet.

    I'm working on my Seoul entries. I'm helping Eldest and the scallywag adjust to the new school year. I'm adjusting to the new school year. I've been dining with friends, spending evenings at the playground with the children. We're preparing to see Husband off for a brief stint in Hong Kong. We've been on alert for typhoon number 9, and planning a "Typhoon Throwdown" party if it passed over the city.

    Thankfully, it didn't.

    Life is busy, but it's also very good.

    There are many pictures to sort through from our South Korea trip, but I think I may need to break them up or the entries will be too long. It was an incredible trip-one I can't wait to share with you.

    Right now I'd like to share something else. It's something I've been working on for our homestead, making me giddy as can be. Why? Because it's actually coming together!

    Hallelujah!

    I may have mentioned that our apartment is pretty modern. The layout is lovely and open, and the views are breathtaking. The palate and materials used, however, are very masculine and cool.

    I don't mind modern elements. In fact, I think they're important to a space so it doesn't feel too dated. But I'm a traditional girl at heart. I like to feel cozy and surrounded by warm, friendly colors. The apartment is pretty much at the opposite end of my comfort zone.

    We're adding pieces to soften up our home and give it a traditional edge: art, pillows, books. We're picking up pieces from different countries; unique items that add something special to our home. We're blending the new with the old, and taking our time accumulating new things.

    It's been fun, challenging, and most importantly, done with great thought and care.

    Recently my attention has been focused on the master bedroom. It's always been the unfinished room in our houses. The afterthought. Does this sound familiar to any of you? Tell me I'm not the only one guilty of this crime, because I'm a repeat offender.

    We're taking steps in the right direction this time, and for that, I'm over the moon. We have gorgeous bedding from Restoration Hardware, a lush blanket, a deluxe mattress pad-needless to say the bed is coming together nicely.

    It's still very neutral and needs a serious injection of color, but I'm working on it.

    Colors.

    One of the many things I miss most about the South are the colors. Plants, trees, flowers, sunrises, and sunsets. Foods, drinks, lights, clothes. The seasons. Their shades are just so rich and sumptuous. They're inviting, warm, beckoning you to stay a while.

    It's just how a home should be.

    Tokyo has it's own vibe. It has its own brilliant hues and lively personality. But they're not what I'm craving in our home. I have been looking for the familiar and comforting, and after a thoughtful search, going through pictures of home, taking notes from magazines, I finally have it.

    I decided to add some of my favorite shades into our master bedroom and I think you'll agree it makes a huge difference.

    Moss and magnolia greens, buttercup yellows, touches of pumpkin oranges, rich browns, and mysterious greys. Mixed in with the creams and whites already existing in our room, I think the overall look will be beautiful. Even more importantly, it will make us feel truly at home.

    Since the bed already has some of those elements in place, I've been focusing on an area in the Master that's been designated as the reading nook.

    Here is what it looked like a week ago:

    D20_9855

    Very vanilla, right? It's not exactly begging me to jump in with a good book and a cup of tea. It all kind of blends in together and melts into a big puddle of bland muck.

    Pulling together some of the elements I talked about earlier, I created an idea board. It really helped to see what I had in mind right in front of me, using both what I already had, and adding items that I wanted.

    Southern Master Bedroom: Tokyo


    This made me so happy. Not only did it brighten up the already existing features, but it added that touch of home I was looking for. The green velvet curtains from Ballard Designs, the ikat pillow, the art work, and throw all warmed up the space. It gave it a slightly feminine touch without overwhelming the modern elements.

    The little side table from Overstock can actually be found here at a local store called Axis, so that thrilled me to bits. It's an edgy piece that keeps this traditional look from being too stodgy. I love the entire look and can't wait for it to be finished.

    It will take a little time, but won't the end result be marvelous?

    Already one element has been added-the ikat pillow.

    D20_9859

    Can you believe the difference the color makes in the space?

    D20_9856

    If you want high-end quality pillow shams made from designer fabrics, I suggest visiting DecidedlyChic's Etsy store here.

    Not only was the owner Dixie a dream to work with, she shipped internationally at a very fair cost. It goes without saying she made this girl feel very giddy when the pillow arrived!

    D20_9857

    I'm hoping to knock out the curtains from Ballard or the side table next. They'll make a dramatic difference in the room, but we'll have to wait and see.

    I'll keep you posted as things progress.

    Have a great day all!

    2 Responses to “
    A Work In Progress

    Ruth said...

    It is going to look great!
    I wish I had the site you do for such things. My house is bland.

    maria said...

    gorgeous inspiration board, dear. love the colors and especially that ikat pillow!!
    also thanks so much for the encouragment regarding the photography, it means the world!!!