• Slideshow Widget

    The Blessing Bowl

    Wednesday, November 17, 2010

    Good evening all!

    I hope you're doing well. We're good as can be. Yes, even me, the gal who's been stuck indoors for 5 days now, is doing well.

    Ad I'll tell you why...

    Since the coffee table ambush, I've been trying to gain some perspective. Things could have been worse. Much worse. I'll be the first to admit I've had a hard time in the mornings since I know my son and I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I had many big moments of being a real Debbie Downer.

    It's been difficult being forced to stay indoors.

    It's been hard looking at the same walls and rooms for five days straight, but my son, difficult as I know this has been on him, has been an absolute gem (save yesterday morning when I think the cabin fever was at its worst).

    We've been singing and playing, writing and talking about numbers and letters. There have been an overload of adorable movies that we've both enjoyed.

    If my two year old could get through this with only one morning of meltdowns, then by God so could I.

    And today marked a turning point: we went outside~in spite of the freezing rain~and walked across the street to the market.

    Those 20 minutes outside felt wonderful and as I quickly learned, all my foot could take. 20 minutes and then the throbbing began again.

    But I won't complain. The time we had outside of our apartment was a blessing. To breathe in the cold air, to see my son just delight in the walking, the people-watching. It felt good to just go.

    I suppose the healing process will be a true exercise in patience. Heaven knows I could use a good lesson in it~and maybe that's just what this really is.

    This brings me to a little something I thought of for our family.

    We've been living in Tokyo for 5 months now, and even though we're enjoying it, we do miss the comforts of home. As adults, Husband and I can manage this quietly, but for Eldest, there's usually something on her mind that she needs to say.

    It's usually something like missing Cook Out or going out for milkshakes at Steak & Shake, but other times she really misses her friends. It's completely expected, and as well as she's handled this huge move, I'd be concerned if she could make a clean break with no regrets.

    Considering this and the season we find ourselves in, I decided to do a little Thanksgiving project for the whole family.

    I call it "The Blessing Bowl".

    D20_1486

    Cutting up construction paper into small, colorful slips, I filled two bowls, leaving the center one empty.

    D20_1494

    Every day each of us is to think about one thing we're thankful for, what we feel blessed with, write it down,

    D20_1491

    and place it into the center bowl.

    D20_1489

    This will continue until Thanksgiving Day, when as a family we'll read through the slips of paper together.

    D20_1497

    Wow! After 3 days it's already so full! How exciting!

    I'll be honest, as long as what's written on the paper is important to the writer, that's all that matters to me. It can be something small or large, silly or serious, it can be a slice of cheesecake. If someone in our family considers it a blessing, then a blessing it shall be.

    I just want us to stop and think for a moment; to consider the good things in our lives. The things we each take for granted every day, but are so very honored to have. Or maybe they're not taken for granted. Perhaps these blessings are fully appreciated and realized.

    We spend so much time rushing and trying to keep up with this, that, and the other thing, I can only hope that this project fills us with the knowledge that we are already fortunate, we are already lucky.

    And as we can already see, our bowl is running over with blessings...

    And I am truly thankful for that.

    6 Responses to “
    The Blessing Bowl

    flip flops and pearls said...

    I hope you get out soon!!!

    I love this idea...
    reminds me of when my kids were little (up til like 2 yrs ago) starting Nov 1st, we'd take a tiny strip of construction paper and write down what we were thanfkul for...hook them together like a chain and read on Turkey Day....

    Be sure to enter my giveaway for a $50 GC to Invite Cottage...just a few more days left:)

    Hope your day is blessed beyond measure!
    ps-I'll tell Arron HI for ya ;)

    High Heeled Life said...

    This was such a wonderful reminder that no matter how many detours in life we may be set on ... there are many. many, many.... more blessings that we are given each day. The blessing bowl is such a creative idea ... xo HHL

    Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

    Have you heard about this book: French By Heart by Rebecca Ramsey? She is my Husband's cousin and they moved to France with a baby, toddler and pre-teen and lived there for four years. It might be a good read for you. It's funny, enlightening and comforting. Thought you might be able to relate since you're living away from home right now. Just thought I'd pass it along! If you can't get it, let me know, I'll mail you a copy. slpreppy@gmail.com

    Jennifer Bradford said...

    What a good idea! That seems like a great way to recognize your blessings and what you are thankful for. Hope your toe gets better in a hurry. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Roux In A Wok said...

    Over in HK, we miss the leaves changing like back home. So we gather or buy sticks, cut out leaves with construction paper, wrtie what were thankful for and "grow gratitude". This was a friends idea that I have incorporated now.

    Kathy said...

    I love this idea! We are at my in-law's house for the week, so I am going to set one up tomorrow. Hoping for lots of submissions to share on Turkey Day.