• Slideshow Widget

    "Worth The Effort" Hot Chocolate

    Sunday, November 14, 2010

    Hello all!

    I'm joining some friends over at "Falling Off a High Heeled Life" for the Chocolate Linky Party.

    And I'd love for you to join us!

    It's exactly what you think it is. Participants link their blog to High Heeled Life's by adding a single delicious chocolate recipe. It can be a drink, a dessert or snack. It can even be a mole sauce!

    The most important thing to remember, however, is that it all revolves around the most divine concoction since...well...to be honest I don't think much else tops the creation of chocolate.

    Thank you God for the cocoa bean.

    In any case, friends, my contribution is a time-honored classic. Complex in flavor and heady in scent, your mouth will be watering the entire time you're preparing this sumptuous drink.

    Hot Chocolate.

    But this isn't your store bought mix. It's not your mother's hot chocolate either (or maybe it is). Much as I love Godiva's milk hot chocolate, every now and then I get the urge to fix it from scratch.

    So I do.

    I tip my hat to the ultimate hostess, Ina Garten, for sharing this delightful recipe with the world. Without it, we'd know nothing more than powdery cocoa mixes~never knowing what we're missing.

    This does require hands-on time, not too much, but it explains why I call it "Worth the Effort" Hot Chocolate.

    It's simple, delicious, and be aware-very rich. It's thicker than what you might be used to and it's not diet friendly, but it will add pep to your step.

    And did I mention you get to actually chop the chocolate?

    Chopped

    Seriously. You've never had more fun in the kitchen until you chop chocolate.

    White Chocolate

    Suddenly you become very popular with your children!

    And when all is said and done, and your ingredients have melted together and are poured into your cup, it will also warm you from the inside out.

    Enjoy this tempting treat!

    Rich Hot Chocolate (from the Barefoot Contessa)

    -2 1/2 cups whole milk
    -2 cups half-and-half (or 2 extra cups of milk if you want a less thick drink)
    -4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    -4 ounces milk chocolate (or white chocolate), chopped
    -1 tablespoon sugar
    -1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

    Heat milk and half and half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.


    Cream and Milk

    Remove the pan from the heat and add both types of chocolate.

    Roughly Chopped

    When they are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract and whisk vigorously. When you're done, it should look like this.

    Hot Chocolate

    Reheat gently and serve immediately.

    Ladeling

    Can you say delicious?

    Pretty!

    I only make this hot chocolate made on certain occasions, and not very often (these hips would tell another tale if that weren't true!). But it's worth the little bit of effort. My family enjoys this special treat and as the days and nights are growing progressively colder, I think I might have to make some this weekend!

    Nothing ends a cold Fall day quite as well as a delicious cup of hot chocolate.

    I hope y'all are able to enjoy the same!

    Click here to see the other delicious chocolate items...

    Linky side bar Chocolate picture2

    4 Responses to “
    "Worth The Effort" Hot Chocolate

    High Heeled Life said...

    Oh my dear .... that is some serious ot chocolate thank you so much for sharing this ... I have printed it off and added to my list of special things to do during the holidays.

    Thank you for participating and such a wonderful addition... hugs HHL

    Fashion Meets Food said...

    Wow! How fabulous does this look! I must give it a try. I am a new follower!

    xo

    Miss Southern Prep said...

    Yum! That looks delicious!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Love yours! Your kids are adorable!

    paula said...

    this looks delicious! I wouldn't mind having a cup now.