• Slideshow Widget

    What's The Dori, Morning Glory?

    Wednesday, December 8, 2010

    Oh my Lord, ladies and gents, I am exhausted!

    Today was the first day in...three weeks?...that I took such an extensive trip around Tokyo. Part of it was by Subway, part by foot, and by the end I was in dire need of one of these:

    D20_1895

    I am officially D-O-N-E for the evening. There is a chocolate milk ready to soothe me into the land of nod, but not before I share with you this fun outing!

    Tired I may be, but it was completely worth it. The scallywag was on his best behavior~which I don't need to tell you, made everything go much smoother.

    D20_1885

    Today we travelled to an area between Ueno and Asakusa to shop on a very special street.

    Its name: Kappabashi Kitchen Dori. Translated it simply means Kitchen Street.

    D20_1892

    This is where the restaurants buy, well, everything. From top of the line appliances to dishes, linens to sandwich boards, and everything in between, this is where they go. This is also where you want to go if you want to score amazing deals on your own kitchen or dining items.

    D20_1898

    At the moment they even have Christmas decor and treats!

    D20_1883

    D20_1905

    D20_1880

    I need to explain the bucket of KFC~it's a Christmas tradition for the Japanese to stand in line forever on Christmas Day to get some of the Colonel's chicken. I don't understand it, though as a gal who misses her fried foods, I do respect it.

    This area is not really aimed at the expat or tourist. You kind of have to be told to go there. If one of my friends, Meg, hadn't mentioned it, I don't think we ever would have discovered it.

    Many thanks, Meg!

    There were many things to look for, maybe gifts for Christmas, and by the end of the evening (yes, evening) it was an incredible success.

    D20_1912

    True, my son's stroller weighed more than a Hummer and walking was becoming increasingly awkward, but it was a terrific outing.

    I'll let the pictures speak for themselves! I'll give you fair warning, there are many...

    D20_1904

    D20_1906

    D20_1908

    D20_1903

    D20_1899

    D20_1894

    D20_1901

    D20_1891

    D20_1890

    D20_1888

    D20_1878

    Toy sushi!

    D20_1881

    D20_8402

    D20_8419

    D20_8405

    D20_1871

    D20_1870

    D20_1872

    D20_1869

    I did warn you there were many pictures. But aren't they just rich with lovely items for your home?

    Prices are very reasonable, and as it is an entire avenue with store after store, you could easily shop for hours. The trick is to watch out for repeat products. Since it is catered towards competing restaurants some stores sell the same thing but for lower prices. Just take your time to peruse the shops when you find something you like. Oftentimes you'll find it somewhere else, and for a lower price.

    Either way, you'll walk away from a fun and unique experience...maybe with a few treasures in hand to boot!

    2 Responses to “
    What's The Dori, Morning Glory?

    Ruth said...

    I am glad to see he still loves to read his Ole Miss book

    Simple Subtle Style said...

    Aw, I love these photos. Must add Japan to my travel list!

    www.simple-subtle-style.com