• Slideshow Widget

    Cheery Blossoms

    Monday, February 7, 2011

    When we first moved to Tokyo our apartment was Man Zone Central. Understandably so, as Husband had been living by himself at the time, making most of the decisions for furniture and such. Our apartment already limited us a bit as it was carpeted and had grass cloth on the walls.

    When we finally joined him in Japan I made a vow to add some charm, Southern accents if you will, and add a dash of femininity to the Man Zone. It all started with this lovely blue and white porcelain vase I'd purchased after our first month had passed.

    D20_8521

    I began collecting more blue and white Japanese china here and there,

    D20_8298

    none of it terribly pricey, yet still elegant and playful.

    D20_8297

    As it's now a month that cascades with pink, and Spring isn't too terribly far behind, I wanted to use this vase in a flower arrangement.

    Small hiccup...Flowers in Tokyo are pricey, and they don't last long. After a spending a ridiculous amount on two small bouquets for our Halloween gathering, I vowed never to make such a frivolous purchase again.

    Hiccup. Hiccup.

    Enter...the 100 Yen Store~also known to many abroad as "Everything's a Dollar!". They have brilliant and super inexpensive items for Valentines (more on that later). Some of what's included are faux flowers.

    Before you start, I don't like them either, but I have to be practical. And besides, there are faux flowers and there are faux flowers. These cherry blossoms fall into the category of pretty, delicate, and very, very realistic.

    The fact that they'll last forever made this purchase a no-brainer.

    And the end result? Minimal and stunning! Of course, that's just my opinion.

    Please, tell me what you think.

    DSC_2809

    DSC_2813

    DSC_2814

    DSC_2812

    I may need to get a few more stems so it looks a bit fuller, but other than that, I'm happy as can be.

    A lovely February evening to you all!

    4 Responses to “
    Cheery Blossoms

    JMW said...

    I love blue and white china. I'm surprised I don't have a decent collection by now, given how much I like it! Your vase is lovely, as are the faux blossoms. I know, sometimes faux flowers just don't work well. But those add a nice touch of spring to the space. Fingers crossed that spring will show its face soon!

    Ruth said...

    I love them.

    Tara said...

    Very nice! While I agree that real is preferrable, sometimes it's just not possible. I think your arrangement is lovely.

    Rambling Girl said...

    I love it! They look prettier than the ones in our dollar store. I love Cherry Blossoms!

    Oh and all the blue china and dishes are cute.