• Slideshow Widget

    International Women's Day

    Tuesday, March 8, 2011

    As a mother to a blossoming young lady, I should tell you that yesterday was special. For all you gals~and guys~out there, yesterday wasn't just Mardi Gras, it was International Women's Day.

    womens day

    If you're unfamiliar with this celebration, March 8th marks the 100th anniversary of a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam, and Bulgaria, International Women's Day is a national holiday.

    In a male-dominated society like Japan, I doubt it gets much recognition, but I talked with Eldest about yesterday's date and perhaps in a serendipitous twist, she told me about a very special presentation her school, ASIJ, is putting on.

    On March 31st, Cherie Blair, wife of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, is giving a talk at Eldest's school about her Foundation for Women and the Asian University for Women. As a renowned civil rights lawyer, she is a huge campaigner for equal rights and has done great work around the world, particularly in 3rd world countries. She even puts emphasis on a healthier balance between work and family life.

    cherieblair

    What mother, or father, for that matter, can't get behind that?

    While I'm not a fan of Mrs. Blair's political or religious opinions, and I think she looks a bit too much like Rachel Dratch from SNL,

    racheldratch

    Eldest and I discussed it and I think it's a great opportunity to hear her speak. It's important for her to forge her opinions and become more knowledgeable as she grows into womanhood. I think she needs to be able to see through the less-intelligent drabble that's out there, and make good, educated choices for herself. Goodness knows while there are times I wish I could do it for her, the child has to think for herself.

    Mrs. Blair certainly has gained points in my book as a staunch supporter of Breast Cancer Care. I'm happy to have seen the efforts she's made to help women across the globe in their work and in life.

    Hopefully we'll be able to make the date and come back with interesting tales!

    4 Responses to “
    International Women's Day

    Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

    I 100% agree with you. While I may not agree with someone else's opinions, one must respect those opinions, become educated and formulate their own opinion (rather than voting or speaking blindly). I applaud you for talking to your daughter about this starting at an earlier age. Kudos Mom!

    Suburban Princess said...

    It's interesting when we think of what life is like for women in other parts of the world....in this country women have it made in the shade and men are child support payers and not much more. Personally I think the pendulum has swung way too far in this part of the world - I guess in your part it hasnt swung much at all!

    Kerri said...

    Holy Cow - she does look like Rachel! LOL :)
    You are such a great Mom! How wonderful that you take the time to discuss important issues with your daughter.
    It's a rainy night in Georgia, hope you are all fairing better. :)

    Kerri said...

    *faring, that is ;)