• Slideshow Widget

    Happy Birthday, Mom!

    Tuesday, May 3, 2011


    Today's date in Tokyo is May 4th.

    We're a little ahead of everyone else in relation to time, so I'll explain why this date is so special.

    Today is my mother's birthday.

    She's a pretty spectacular woman.

    Various 427

    Snuggle!!

    It's not just because of her love of High Tea~of which we've shared over two decades enjoying together. I love her because she helped Eldest appreciate the value of quiet conversation and trying something new.

    D20_1111

    tea11

    tea4

    I love her because she is a class act. She is unfailingly kind and gracious. My mother always knows what to say, and is the person people turn to in a difficult situation. She has the respect and admiration of everyone she knows.

    D20_5548

    I love her for of her love of classics...which she balances with a wicked sense of humor. She understands the importance of joy and laughter in ones life.

    P1010033

    I love her because my children love her. As a former elementary school teacher it is in her nature to nurture and encourage. She endowed a love of reading in me, and helped foster that same love in Eldest and the scallywag. She is so playful and eager to spend time with her grandchildren at any given opportunity.

    D20_7258

    Various 384

    DSC_2549

    Love

    D20_3324

    I love her because she is there for us always. Distance has indeed made the heart grow fonder, but it hasn't kept her away.

    D20_7295

    P1010057

    D20_5256

    I love her because of her generous nature. She is always willing to help others, and has the ability to put herself last without any qualms.

    D20_7493

    I love her because she is a woman of Faith. When I was in periods of doubt or frustration with my own, she never forced, but gently guided. Because of this I know where I belong. I can help my own children as they grow in Faith, and develop their own personal relationships with God.

    Old Camera 065

    I love her because she is fearless. She has such talent and isn't afraid to explore the different mediums. As an artist, she opens herself to both praise and criticism, always learning something and growing. Isn't her work spectacular?

    D20_5508

    D20_5504

    You can see more of it on her website here.

    Most of all I love her because she's my mom!

    This morning she paid me the kindest compliment, which really meant the world to me. Coming from her, the words she offered were of the highest praise; words every daughter who is a mother wants to hear.

    Thank you Mom, for what you said. I would be none of it without your love, your guidance, your strength, and most of all your patience. Thank you for making mistakes and for allowing me to make mine. I want you to know that I am glad we both grew together as mother and child. We learned alot from one another.

    So here's a toast from me to you.

    pour

    Happy birthday, Mom!

    I love you.

    6 Responses to “
    Happy Birthday, Mom!

    Ruth said...

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Ms. Shirley.
    I hope it is a wonderful day.

    love ya,
    Ruth

    Miss Southern Prep said...

    This is such a sweet post! Your mom reminds me so much of my mom! Happy birthday to her, I hope her special day is wonderful!

    Suburban Princess said...

    You are so fortunate to have such an amazing mom! She raised you to be an amazing woman!

    Happy Birthday Shirley!

    Mrs. Cozy Home said...

    Happy Birthday! Your mom sounds like such a wonderful person.

    Kerri said...

    How wonderful! Hope your Mom has a fabulous year!~ ;)

    Your Southern Peach said...

    Your mother sounds like an amazing woman! Great tribute to her. It brought tears to my eyes.