• Slideshow Widget

    A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

    Thursday, May 5, 2011

    It's been another busy week around our home filled with fun and interesting happenings, some of which I've shared with you, and some which I've not.

    I think that means it's time for "A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That". Don't you?

    ~Yesterday marked the end of Golden Week in Japan.

    gwschedule

    Golden Week is a 6 day celebration of several national holidays which happen to coincide roughly at the same time. It always begins on April 29 and ends on May 5. Most Japanese tend to go on vacation during this time since there are so many days off, and some are even given paid vacations! How nice is that? Even nicer, Husband has had the entire week off!

    ~Golden Week begins with Showa Day, which is named for former Emperor Showa, and ends with Children's Day. An interesting fact: though hailed as Children's Day, it is actually widely known as the Boy's Festival, or Tango No Sekku. Families pray for the health and future success of their sons by hanging up carp streamers and displaying samurai dolls, both symbolizing strength, power and success in life. We've seen carp streamers everywhere and the sight of these colorful symbols are both beautiful and amazing!

    GWUWEPSCHEN

    Image courtesy of Uwep Schen

    ~If you were curious, there is a Girl's Festival which is celebrated on March 3. Often referred to as Hina Matsuri or the Doll Festival, families with girls wish their daughters a successful and happy life. Dolls are displayed in the house together with peach blossoms, and sweet sake is imbibed.

    ~We don't have sweet sake in our liquor cabinet right now, but if we did need a sweet drink, our good friend Denise gifted us with a bottle of Japanese Strawberry Wine!

    DSC_4666

    We're waiting for a slightly warmer and prettier day to open this bottle.

    DSC_4667

    ~As Children's Day falls on May 5th, it happens to coincide with Cinqo de Mayo. We're in Japan for only a little while longer, and like with many things this year we decided to celebrate in the Japanese tradition. Last night there were no margaritas or pulled-pork tacos. Instead we had pancakes, a favorite of the children.

    ~Later, though, Husband whipped up his first batch of bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers.

    jalapenopoppers1

    Image courtesy of Ree Drummond

    Goodness were they delicious...and hot! Even though he removed the seeds and membranes, there was quite a punch of heat in each and every savory bite.

    ~I hope he makes them again this weekend! If so, I'm going to try and figure out how to make these beauties:

    margarita popsicles

    Margarita popsicles. What a fun twist on a classic drink!

    By the by, I was kindly informed that the the above 'sicles are actually Corona Popsicles. I don't know about y'all, but that still sounds good to me! Thanks Cajun Belle.

    ~Tomorrow is Eldest's first soccer tournament of the Spring season. The weather is in question so Husband and the scallywag will stay behind. If ASIJ were close by we'd weather it out (excuse the pun), but as it takes over an hour by subway we are not going to take that chance. I cannot wait to get some picture of my girl in action!

    D20_0907

    ~Do you recall my promotion for a giveaway on Jackie's website Sweetie Pie Style? Normally I don't have the best luck in contests, but this time I won! I was stunned when Jackie announced that I'd won a $100 credit to Shopbop. I've been hunting around the website since then and think I've found just what I need to get through the sweltering Southern summer~in Japan, Hong Kong, China, and in the States.

    toryburch

    Tory Burch's Thora Flat Sandals. We're going to be traveling around Asia quite a bit before our move, and these pretty shoes will fit into any bag and with any outfit during our many trips. Classic, comfortable, and in a color that can go with anything, I feel like I'm winning all over again! Of course the Audra Hobo would be lovely as well.

    toryburch1

    But I may need to wait to win the lottery for this one. Thanks again Jackie!

    ~Thank you all for your sweet well-wishes to my Mother. We chatted via Skype on my iPhone and had the best conversation. It's still difficult being so far away as Mother's Day approaches, but I'm glad we have other ways of staying in touch.

    ~Would you all kindly keep my Mother and Daddy in your prayers? Daddy has been called to Chicago to help with all the insurance claims following the tornadoes in the South. He'll be gone at least a month, at most two or three. It's never easy being away from those you love, so if you have a moment or two, offer them up please.

    ~One last note, the scallywag is turning 3 in a little over a month and he is taken with all things cowboy thanks to Toy Story 3. It's too cute! Here is my problem, do any of you know where I may be able to find a cute cowboy John-John for my little pardner in crime? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    A lovely weekend to you all!

    6 Responses to “
    A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

    Ruth said...

    Could Liza whip one up for you?
    Wow! Congrats on winning the giveawy.

    love
    R

    The Southern Lady said...

    Hey sweetie!

    No, I don't think she makes clothes or smocks. There's no harm in asking, of course, but I'm sure she's pretty busy and I wouldn't want to put that sort of pressure on her. I've looked at my usual haunts but cannot find one. Maybe it's too Fall-ish? I'm not giving up, though!

    Thank you!

    Love you,

    Moi

    beverly said...

    I saw several on Ebay. I typed in CoWBOY SMOCKED SMOCKING...don't know if that would work, with distance. I sell there, and do ship internationally but many don't. I guess I need to reveal myself as a blog stalker:)..not sure how I found your blog, but I LOVE it, and I live in Charlotte! Your family and your writing style is beautiful!!!
    Bev

    beverly said...

    I see some on Ebay..not sure if that would work due to distance..I sell there and do ship internationally, but not all do. I guess I need to reveal myself as a blog stalker:)...not sure how I found your blog, but I LOVE it. Your family and your writing style are beautiful! I happen to live in Charlotte, so I feel a connection:)
    Bev

    Casey said...

    First of all, the shoes are a must have!

    Also, not sure exactly where your dad is in Chicago (city or out in the suburbs where the insurance companies are headquartered), but if you need some good Chicago recommendations of eats or things to do, let me know. I think your mom should plan a trip up here to visit him and spend a day shopping on the Mag Mile!

    Hope all is well!

    A Cajun Belle said...

    Those actually aren't margarita pops..they're corona beer
    But here's how to make them:
    http://www.bakersroyale.com/fast-and-easy/corona-beer-popsicles-cinco-de-mayo

    Or the strawberry margarita ones:
    http://www.bakersroyale.com/fast-and-easy/strawberry-margarita-popsicles