• Slideshow Widget

    Rainy Day Lessons

    Wednesday, May 11, 2011


    When you wake up to a rainy day~or spend several days indoors due to the rain~you may feel your mind begin to melt. Children will keep you occupied, that's not an issue. But being cooped up indoors for any length of time can eat away at you. It can make even the most patient and capable person feel antsy, irritable. Your brain doesn't even seem to function as it normally does.

    So why not break out and brave the stormy weather? Try and do things a little differently.

    Let's call it the "I'd Do It on a Sunny Day Anyway" plan. It's exactly what the scallywag and I did in lieu of letting the weather dictate how we would spend yesterday.

    We took our time in the morning. We played, enjoyed our breakfasts, I savored my first cup of coffee. There was nothing pressing to attend to, so we used the opportunity to dwell in those moments.

    After the little one went down for his nap, I enjoyed lunch then cozied up under a blanket. The rain was soothing, and set the perfect tone for an afternoon movie. I was in the mood for something spooky with the gorgeous Michelle Pfeiffer and a pre-grumpy old man Harrison Ford.

    whatliesbeneath

    What Lies Beneath is a slow-burning thriller. Not too scary, not too predictable, it sneaks up on you and delivers a very good story with twists and turns. It's a good film for date night, too. You know, in case some of you like movies that make you jump and grab onto someone.

    Once the scallywag was awake, we had our concierge call a cab, and headed to the nearest cafe.

    DSC_4755

    I figured, why not add a little sunshine to the day by indulging a sweet tooth or two?

    DSC_4787

    We attempted to do this at the Dean & Deluca located within the very posh Tokyo Midtown.

    DSC_4785

    DSC_4757

    DSC_4784

    However, the last thing the scallywag wanted to do was sit anywhere. He wanted to walk and explore. His favorite place to romp? In between the stalks of the bamboo trees planted indoors.

    DSC_4758

    This is when I had to remind myself that our goal was to get out of the house and have some fun. It may not have been what I had in mind, but the scallywag was having a blast, and it was a hoot watching him play. I couldn't really help but enjoy it! When he smiles and laughs everything just seems better and brighter.

    We rode the escalators several times, catching the delighted eyes of knowing Mothers and doting Ottosans~otherwise known as Grandmothers. Eventually we found a large, quiet alcove filled with artfully carved wooden benches. It was the perfect spot for the little guy to eat his snack and play with his train.

    DSC_4773

    DSC_4768

    DSC_4767

    The two of us played around one particular bench, only leaving once we realized the rain canceled Eldest's soccer practice and she was headed home early. The scallywag was happy to walk around the floors as we sought another set of escalators.

    We hopped in another cab home, chilled but content. Yes, the trip hadn't been what I'd set out to do, but looking back I know this: sometimes it's nice to not have a plan work out. It's better to go with the flow, be spontaneous, and enjoy things the way your child enjoys them. My brain had certainly stopped melting and my spirits were lifted.

    Being an adult is so much about the order, the lists, the organization. It's about "The Plan". I thank God that my children keep things from being monotonous. They keep my heart happier and my mind sharper because of the different way they experience and see things. The hardest part is letting go and not being the adult. When you spend so much time trying to keep things in order sometimes it's difficult to let the necessary chaos in.

    This is where I'll say I'm thankful that my son is so spirited and strong-willed. At times he's very determined to do things a certain way, and it's in those moments that I feel so happy, that I feel care-free and spontaneous. It's when I laugh the hardest.

    Both he and Eldest remind me that as an adult, yes, there is a need for order and rules, but there's also an equal need for fun, laughter, and a little bit of crazy.

    Braking out of our rainy-day rut was more than a little fun. It was also little lesson that I needed reminding of.

    DSC_4776

    Things didn't work out as I had planned~they were better.

    At the end of the day there was a happily worn-out child, a rejuvenated mom, and better moods all around.

    And I still got a cup of coffee from Dean & Deluca's...

    DSC_4789

    to go.

    4 Responses to “
    Rainy Day Lessons

    Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

    So true....sometimes things are that much better when not planned and scheduled (think National Lampoon's Vacation movies!) I loved that movie as well, but I did jump at one point, when Harrison Ford is in the mirror. Eeeekkk!

    Suburban Princess said...

    Sounds like a lovely day! Your son is soooo cute!

    Katie @ Yoga Gal said...

    He is so precious in his little jon jon! I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend! :D

    Your Southern Peach said...

    What a great post Elizabeth and I could not agree more.

    It's hard to let our kids take the lead sometimes and see where their imagination will take us, but usually it's a great adventure!

    Glad you had a lovely day and your little guy is adorable!