• Slideshow Widget

    A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That

    Sunday, June 12, 2011

    Good morning all!

    We haven't had one of these posts in a while, but what can I say? It's been one of those weeks! I just can't get my act together blog-wise and this way I can put almost everything to paper...

    So to speak.

    ~Last week began our summer vacation (though I'm very hesitant to use the word "vacation"). It's going to be an incredibly hectic summer. We'll be moving to our next location and we'll be doing it, plus choosing Eldest and the scallywag's school, in July. We won't have much time so...you can understand why there's reluctance to refer to any portion of the next three months as a vacation.

    ~I'm still having a hard time believing that both children will be attending school this Fall. Though it is a good thing, I am sad that my little one is ready for this transition. I will miss him very, very much.

    ~And he'll be 3 this Wednesday! How could three years pass so quickly? Did I blink?

    nikon 125

    ~We're really looking forward to a visit from Husband's family this Saturday! We've missed them. They'll be staying with us for a few days, we'll visit Disney, then we'll head to China and Hong Kong. It will be nice to see familiar faces and watch the children play together~they always have the best time. Plus, it will be so nice to show them our Tokyo.

    ~With Husband finishing up a few things at the office, he's been working late, and in those evenings I find myself with an old friend from my childhood days: Angela Lansbury and the people of Cabot Cove, Maine.

    murdershewrote

    Move aside, Harry Potter, this is the original trio: Jessica Fletcher, Doctor Seth Haslett, and Sheriff Amos Tupper with guest star John Astin.

    I grew up watching the light mystery show, "Murder, She Wrote" with my Father. Every Sunday at 7 PM I could count on being entertained by the episodes as well as the characters. I never knew who the killer was, but Jessica Fletcher was one shrewed cookie! She always knew, no matter how obscure the clue or convoluted the plot. Of course, now that I'm older I have to wonder why people didn't run in the opposite direction when her character came to town. Didn't anyone ever wonder why people seemed to die around her all the time?

    ~Angela Lansbury remains one of my favorite actresses of all time. From her "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" days to Broadway, she remains the classiest dame around~and feisty as ever. Also amusing? She remains so in tune with pop culture, claiming Lady Gaga would make a marvelous Mame should she ever turn her eye to Broadway.

    angela

    ~I'm currently on the hunt for Season Three of "Murder, She Wrote" on DVD.

    ~I'm currently on the hunt for Blendy Aroma Blend coffee as well. Since our move to Tokyo, Husband and I have become huge fans of this Japanese coffee. And guess what? When I'm most in need of morning clarity the stores stop carrying it. We've hit the major markets and the smaller ones as well, hoping to find it. We do have one more, though, so our fingers are crossed!

    ~For now, Cafe du Monde is doing the trick (even if Husband doesn't like chicory).

    ~Here's a funny story: my husband begins to say something to our son and instead of listening, he turns around and laughs. "Daddy, I hear blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." Hilarious, and thank you "Tangled". I can look back at that moment and still laugh.

    ~I do have museum pictures from last week from a Rembrandt exhibit, and will share them with you this week!

    ~Even with the craziness involved with our upcoming move, I'm looking forward to decorating a new home. Preferably one that isn't so contemporary in design.

    ~Oh yes, and depending on the size of our home I'll be on the market for a bed for the little one. And perhaps eldest. We'll sell the twin beds we have now as they are incredible eye-sores, and find something more traditional. Of course, we won't know if we need one or two until we find our new home!

    ~I'm sorry for not revealing our next location in any of the posts regarding our move, but until things are finalized, Husband and I are keeping mum. Things can change rather quickly in this business, and we don't want to get hopes up or dashed.

    ~Would y'all mind sending a few prayers our way regarding the move? Peace of mind, an easy transition, locating a great school for the children, finding a wonderful new home...there's a lot that will happen very fast and we want to enjoy it, but make smart decisions. The two don't seem to go hand in hand, so you'll understand why a little spiritual guidance is appreciated!

    ~I cannot believe how many of y'all were in agreement with me about the last post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and offering your encouragement. It was heartwarming. Regarding girls clothing has always been a hot-button issue with me, and modern as I am, there is a very traditional, old-fashioned girl within that will not evolve with the times. Many may not be ok with that, but I am. What can I say? It's not easy when you feel like a Jackie girl living in a Kardashian world.

    ~Speaking of Jackie, my replacement "What Would Jackie Do?" arrived and has been a delicious nap-time treat every day since (as have a few cookbooks that arrived with it!)

    ~It recently occurred to me that my daughter will be in High School in 3 years. Oh my Lord. Really? I must have blinked again. Where is this sweet bebe?

    scan0012

    How are my little children becoming bigger people? I'm so happy their thriving, happy individuals, but I do miss those baby days.

    And now I'm going to stop before I make myself a teary-eyed mess. Like I said, it's been rather busy around here and much is on our minds. They're all good, for which we're blessed, but they can be trying. It's nothing to complain about~that time will come and be here soon enough. I'm just glad there are these wonderful people, moments, and opportunities we get to take part in.

    So very glad.

    A lovely week to you all~I'll be back soon with birthday boy celebrations!

    6 Responses to “
    A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That

    Chris said...

    Good luck during such a busy season! When things get hectic just remember "Keep Calm and Carry On".

    I've been a fan of you blog for a while now and recently started my own a few weeks back! I love that your blog is so much more than about fashion and home decor... it's about life and the things that happen to you... and ultimately that's the most important and inspiring part!

    Ally Garner said...

    Me too!!! My mom used to let me watch Murder She Wrote with her on Sunday nights. It was such a special treat! They were showing the reruns nightly on Hallmark Channel for a while. I drove Jeff nuts watching it every night before bed haha. I just LOVE that show-still one of my favorites!

    Best wishes on your move! Of course, i will happily add you & your family to my prayer list. What a blessing to be able to have some fun with your inlaws before the business of the move kicks in!

    Hope you have a wonderful week & the happiest of birthday celebrations to the cutie-pie scallywag!

    Suburban Princess said...

    I will keep my fingers crossed for your big move! Will you miss Japan?

    Don't you think Cabot Cove is about the most dangerous place on earth? I mean the crime rate must be through the roof!

    My favourite role she played is Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd, Stephen Sondheim actually wrote the character for her!

    Ruth said...

    I love murder she wrote. I wish I could still catch the reruns. Never thought to see if thu were on dd yet.
    I can't believe how old the kiddos are either.

    Love
    R

    Jennifer Bradford said...

    Happy birthday to your little one. I hope your move goes well and that things get finalized very soon. Uncertainty is never fun.

    Kerri said...

    prayers for the move...oh and I love, love, loved Bedknobs and Broomsticks!