• Slideshow Widget

    Museum Week Two: Science Museum Fail

    Tuesday, June 7, 2011

    Good morning from Tokyo all!

    We had such a good run of fair weather, I think Mother Nature decided it was time for a few rainy days. So here we are, indoors, thanking God we at least had several consecutive days to go out and play~as well as Museum Hop.

    Welcome to Week Two of Museum Week!

    This one will be short and sweet simple because my time this morning is also short...due to a rather sweet boy.

    Yesterday the wee one and I headed up to Ueno Park.

    DSC_5187

    It's pretty far from where we live, but hosts many entertaining venues. They have a Zoo, a large playground, shrines, and of course, several museums.

    DSC_5188

    Our goal yesterday was to visit The National Museum of Western Art and the Tokyo National Museum. Happily we were able to do both, but in between walking from one to another my son spotted something that had him jumping from the stroller.

    DSC_5200

    His greatest passion right now, aside from all things Toy Story related, are trains. And right in front of the Tokyo National Museum of Science was this beautifully grand, black engine.

    DSC_5204

    Unfortunately it didn't take long for the scallywag to realize something wasn't quite right: the gates were closed and sealed with locks.

    It seemed the museum was being fumigated and wouldn't be open until next week. Total Science Museum fail. Thankfully the scallywag was happy to look at the train from behind the gates.

    DSC_5203

    "Wow! It's beautiful!"

    DSC_5202

    "Mamam, the train! Look, the train! Wow!"

    He was so, so, so excited. We had hit a jackpot.

    It was a moment of serendipity for us both.

    But time was running short, and I had to gently encourage the little guy to sit back in his stroller so we could head to our next destination. We couldn't go further into Science Museum, could we?

    DSC_5191

    No, he wasn't too happy, but he was okay until the train was out of sight. Then began the pitiful pleading.

    "Oh Mamam, the train! Where'd it go? The train!"

    Whoever said "out of sight, out of mind" clearly never met my son. I wished I could do something for him, but sometimes those moments of serendipity come with a twist. The best I could do was sing him a little song and offer him a snack as we strolled away.

    Thankfully, he fully moved on after a crowd of pedestrians wandered with us towards our next location. People watching was just as fascinating.

    And on a happier note, we will head back to his beloved train next week once the museum reopens.

    That, plus a cheery scallywag, is definitely something to look forward to.

    A lovely day to you all!

    7 Responses to “
    Museum Week Two: Science Museum Fail

    Ally Garner said...

    Yay for Museum Week part 2!!

    Poor scallywag :( I keep thinking of those pics from last week with the little one holding his toy train. He's going to be thrilled to pieces next week when he finally gets closer to that big train.

    I remember when my younger brother was obsessed with trains as a toddler. We loved it when she would sing "I've Been Working On The Railroad" haha. Sweet memories!

    Barbecued Peaches said...

    What a fun idea, visiting these museums.

    I love a good science museum! I'm 26 and I still love going to them and messing with all the hands on activities. Have you ever been to the McWane center in Birmingham? It is fabulous!

    Georgia Girl said...

    poor little one

    poor us for it being closed

    i was getting excited about seeing another historical site

    oh well guess i will have to wait with little one also

    Kathy said...

    Beth, I just love hearing about your adventures. What fun getting out and discovering your city! My boys would have LOVED the train, too!

    Katie@Yoga Gal said...

    Love his little jon jon! It always seems when something like this happens to us, I am more upset than the kids, LOL!

    Hope you are having a wonderful week! :D

    Katie

    daphne @ flip flops and pearls said...

    ahhhhhhhhh J is so precious!!!

    I hope you let me know when you head down South to NOLA friend.

    Blessings to you-D

    Ruth said...

    I love it. Sounds like another fab 2 year old boy I love.