• Slideshow Widget

    Where Young Girls Can Dress Like Young Girls

    Thursday, June 9, 2011

    One of the biggest complaints I've always had as a mother to a girl concerns clothing and its appropriateness.

    For eleven years I've worried about my daughter's clothes. Why? Because more and more it seems the bigger girls get, the smaller the clothes become. Modesty, for the most part, has been thrown out the window in favor of "what's hot".

    When did it become acceptable to let our little ones prance about with "Juicy" on their bottoms and shorts that showed everything their Mama's gave them? When did bare midriff's become de rigueur?

    Understand I'm not talking about dress-up. Dressing up and using ones imagination is a wonderful thing. I'm not even referring to bathing suits~though I could. I'm talking about the clothing items that some young girls~and stores~consider to be acceptable for everyday wear.

    Perhaps this a sign of the times, perhaps it's because this is all they see, and perhaps I'm a buttoned-up old prude who lives in a fantasy world. But when did it become uncool for young girls to dress like young girls?

    I suppose I should be relieved that Eldest is a tomboy. We've never had to deal with a desire for lacy, sequined everyday wear that graced the aisles in many stores. But it's more readily available than the classic or less flashy girls wardrobe. Why? Probably because it's cheaper to mass manufacture as well as purchase. But what about the bottom line...What is the true cost of this mass affordability?

    Target has been pretty safe, as have Gap and Old Navy. Even Crew Cuts provided us with some relief. All range from very affordable to a little bit of splurging.

    But it's still pretty limiting. Thankfully, companies have caught on that some parents don't want their 7 year old's dressing like Miley Cyrus. Or in my case, 11 year old. More and more stores are expanding their clothing lines to include sensible, tasteful, and sometimes chic items for our daughters. And while they aren't always the cheapest, you're offering your child a little something that is completely priceless: a better sense of self-worth.

    All mothers to daughters, I come bearing the most wonderful news! Brooks Brothers now carries a girls line and it is so fabulous I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am.

    Let me show you a few things I would love for Eldest...

    brooksbrothersgirlsstripedoxford14

    The Striped Oxford Dress

    brooksbrothersgirlsdigitalprintdress14

    The Digital Print Dress

    brooksbrothersgirldotprintblousexl

    The Dot Print Blouse

    brooksbrothersgirlginghamblousesheerlilacxl

    Girls Gingham Blouse in Sheer Lilac

    brooksbrothersgirlterryshawlknitcardiganxl

    Terry Shawl Knit Cardigan

    brooksbrothersgirlsginghamshortsxl

    Girls Gingham Shorts

    And were you all aware of how cute Lands End's girls clothing is? I had no idea! Not to mention it's very affordable.

    landsendgirlstankknitdress14goldensun

    Girls Tank Knit Dress in Golden Sun

    landsendgirlswovenbeachshort

    Girls Woven Beach Skort in Navy

    landsendshortsleeveknitrufflefrontdress14classicnavyandblue

    Girls Knit Ruffle Front Dress in Blue

    And for the Fall...

    landsendlongsleeveknitrufflefrontdressred14

    Long Sleeve Knit Ruffle Front Dress in Red

    landsendgirlsplaidpoplinpintuckdressclassicnavyplaid14

    Plaid Poplin Tuck Dress in Hunter/Classic Navy Plaid

    landsendgirlstpleatedskirtgray14

    Girls Pleated Skirt in Gray

    landsendtiefrontponteskirtrichred14

    Girls Tie-Front Ponte Skirt in Rich Red

    I just want to do a little dance of joy! These clothes are darling. They aren't too young, nor are they too mature. And in no way are they age inappropriate. They're right where they need to be for a growing young lady.

    Just a word of caution before you go shopping~if you're the online shopping type, of course. Make sure you know your daughter's measurements before any purchasing. Because when I took Eldest's, I discovered not only is she just shy of 5 feet and lankier than ever, but she's a size 14 and Large at Lands End, but a 14 and Extra Large at Brooks Brothers. It's all about how the stores size their clothes!

    And now I'm done singing the praises of these two new discoveries. My heart and mind are filled with relief that stores are starting to understand that there are still parents out there that think like I do. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Of course, I'm sure because I've been in Japan for the past year I'm the last to catch on to these two lovely discoveries, but aren't they wonderful?

    A lovely weekend to you all, wherever you may be!

    17 Responses to “
    Where Young Girls Can Dress Like Young Girls

    Royar said...

    I grew up wearing Lands End Kids clothing (including the school uniforms) and it lasts forever! I now have graduated to Lands End Canvas and regular Lands End for the staples. For Eldest, I would also recommend J. Crew and Madewell (the sister company of J.Crew) for a little bit trendier look. I also adore Gap, Old Navy and Ann Taylor Loft. I've gotten some great shorts and tops from there that are very simple! She should be able to fit into a 0-4 in most women's places, on recommendation from my friends. Glad to see there are still Mothers enforcing good dressing! I've gotten so many compliments on my dressing for school and I do owe it all to my Mother. She will appreciate your efforts in the end! Have a wonderful day!

    Heather formerly of TN said...

    I completely agree with you on this. It's hard to find cute yet tasteful clothes for our 11 yr olds.

    Kerri said...

    These are adorable! I am 1,000 % with you on the girls clothing issue. It is simply horrifying when you stop and think of the lack of judgement on the part of some designers, but most of all parents who purchase. Good for you, for protecting your daughter and allowing her to be a girl while she is a girl!

    Katie@Yoga Gal said...

    Hello from Huntsville!

    I would like all of those clothes for me! :D I hope that you and your family have a wonderful weekend! :D

    daphne @ flip flops and pearls said...

    I love all those.....I'd love to dress my kids in the clothes like on Little House on the Prairie! LOL
    Unfortunately, that's not happening. BUT they can still be stylish and classy, for sure!

    I hope your weekend is nothing but blessed friend!!

    Barbecued Peaches said...

    I don't have children, but I totally agree with you. My cousin is hitting her tween years, but so far she's staying in appropriate clothes.

    Also, I'm 26(almost 27) and I'd like that Digital Print dress for myself! I wonder if I could fit in an extra large, haha! I've def. bought t-shirts(sports teams, things like that) in large/extra large youth sizes.

    Linda said...

    2 Comments. I can remember Jenn and Eliz being very curious when, in an unguarded moment in ToysRUs, I exclaimed something about I was not buying Hooker Barbie for my 9 year olds!!! (I didn't explain much.) I call the trend "gutterization".

    Second, Eliz recently tried to consign a couple of beautiful smocked dresses that Nora has outgrown but were in pristine condition. This nice child's consignment shop rejected them because "that sort of thing just doesn't sell in Chicago." It is clear that you and Eliz are GRITS (Girls Raised in the South).

    Anonymous said...

    I could not agree with you more! Breaks my heart! I have been dealing with this for years now and feel like I'm the only one. My 11 year old is very tall and a bit chubby and it is soooo hard to find her age appropriate clothing! All the girls at school dress like tramps! The tighter and the smaller the better! Booty shorts and make up in 5th grade? What is this world coming to? Stay strong and preppy...love your blog!

    Ruth said...

    I look at clothes in stores and I am dismayed by what is offered. I don't get why more parents don't protest the trashy clothes for young kids.
    I know at one time Talbot's had a kids line of clothes.
    And that ruffled front dress looks very similar to one I got at Talbot's last year.

    love
    R

    Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

    This is why I am a BIG believer in school uniforms for both public and private schools. Well...this and a dozen other reasons.

    I love that ruffle shirt dress! I wonder if they make it my size too. So cute and comfie!

    Anonymous said...

    I love your blog! Thank you so much for voicing my concerns and complaints about dressing little girls like little girls and NOT like hoochie-mamas! I have a very tall 7.5 year old who wears a 12/14, depending on the clothing line. I have always wanted someone to open a traditional line of clothing for that tricky 'tween stage as well! Girls must dress like girls...no bedazzled anything, no slogans, cute but modest!!! And as a mother of a 5, 9, and 11 year old boy, I also feel like designers are always trying to get boys to look like they just came from the office. Keep it simple and preppy! Best of luck to you in your new journey and keep up the fab blog! With love from MIssouri!

    Stacey said...

    I love your blog! Thank you so much for voicing my concerns and complaints about dressing little girls like little girls and NOT like hoochie-mamas! I have a very tall 7.5 year old who wears a 12/14, depending on the clothing line. I have always wanted someone to open a traditional line of clothing for that tricky 'tween stage as well! Girls must dress like girls...no bedazzled anything, no slogans, cute but modest!!! And as a mother of a 5, 9, and 11 year old boy, I also feel like designers are always trying to get boys to look like they just came from the office. Keep it simple and preppy! Best of luck to you in your new journey and keep up the fab blog! With love from MIssouri!

    burningitdown said...

    I don't have kids, but have also wondered about this trend.

    Like Eldest, I grew up a tom boy. I wanted nothing more than to wear my older brother's hand-me-down polo shirts and izod shorts, which drove my mother nuts. While I've grown out of it - a bit - I must say I still sort of hate dresses, but wear them when the occasion calls. It's refreshing to know us tom boys aren't a dying breed!

    I'm also glad to see there ARE places where I can shop for my niece without feeling creepy!

    Anonymous said...

    First of all I would like to say fantastic blog!

    I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I've had difficulty
    clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but
    it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any suggestions or tips? Cheers!

    Also visit my webpage; Juegos Online Gratis

    Anonymous said...

    Hello it's me, I am also visiting this web page daily, this site is genuinely pleasant and the viewers are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

    My web page: joaca mario clasic

    Anonymous said...

    It's going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this enormous piece of writing to improve my experience.

    Check out my homepage; jocuri online strategie

    Anonymous said...

    It's really a cool and useful piece of info. I am happy that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    My blog ... Juegos Gratis