• Slideshow Widget

    In between Time

    Thursday, August 25, 2011

    As happy as we all are that Eldest is in school, we're even happier that she had a wonderful first day. As I told one of my Twitter friends, she was aglow with delight!

    The road getting to that first day, though, was a very rough one. This past week and a half was filled with emotions ranging from frustrated to upset to offended and put out. Never had there been as many headaches concerning schools as there were for middle school.

    So when I mentioned that I was keeping the children busy with fun things to do in between school shopping, those were the moments that calmed and reigned in those nasty feelings. They offered perspective and kept me from missing precious opportunities with my bebes.

    They were moments that made us all laugh hysterically, sigh in bliss, and contemplate our blessings.

    I'd love to share a few glimpses into our week of ups and downs with you~by focusing on the ups! It's what makes going through those of aggravating points in time completely worth it.

    Let's get right to it. We're a family of very serious people~seriously silly!

    DSC_6076

    Both of the children are hat people and love trying them on...even if they are that grotesque shade of neon green. They thought it was fun to pose in front of mirrors and prance about the accessory stores. Rest assured, they weren't being a bother as it was right when the stores opened, and the owners loved seeing children in the store and not the "scary teenagers". Their words, friends, not mine.

    Sometimes when I think my little girl is all grown up, she'll go to some pretty interesting extremes to remind me she's still my baby girl.

    DSC_6728

    We all got a kick out of this! And wouldn't you know it? She had no trouble fitting into the toddler seat. Not even a little.

    We loved finding a convenient cupcake shop near both the Four Seasons as well as our temporary housing.

    DSC_6093

    Sweet Arleen's is phenomenal. We haven't hit Sprinkles or Crumbs, but I'm not inclined to run there after enjoying these decadent morsels. One day we had a red velvet, two vanilla's with vanilla icing, and one chocolate with vanilla icing. But the absolute best? The marshmallow cupcake with fluff and ganache. It is to die for. And if you don't believe me, next time you watch "Cupcake Wars" on Food Network you just may see this little shop win not once, but twice, and serve their fare at the Tony's. It was a victory well deserved!

    Also well deserved were these two frappuccuino's after a long hard day of school searching.

    DSC_6054

    No worries, my long-legged child sipped on a cream-based drink, not coffee. She is not the coffee lover her mother is. She does, however, love the double chocolate chip...with extra whipped cream.

    By the by, did y'all know Starbucks has a super secret menu? One of their items actually happens to be a drink that is mostly whipped cream. I haven't told Eldest. I fear she'll never return home.

    But in case that day comes, we have an expert navigator who loves to tell us where to go when we're in the car.

    DSC_6053

    No, he can't really read. The scallywag just enjoys a good map. Maybe his bedroom in our permanent home will play host to some vintage ones. Ok, Pinterest pals, time for you to help me by finding some excellent rooms with such a look. Are y'all interested?

    Of course, as much as we goofed off and dined our way around Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village we had quiet moments as well.

    DSC_6693

    Eldest spent a few afternoons while her brother was napping writing thank you notes. Our time in New Orleans was a wonderful one, and everyone went out of their way to make sure the children were included and welcomed with open arms. Using Four Seasons stationary (so very Jackie!), Eldest wrote a rough draft or two before putting pencil to paper. She was very thoughtful in how she phrased her letters, thanking everyone for their thoughtful gestures. I was touched that she took the time to do this~especially when I know our summer has not been the most relaxing. It's been fun, fun, fun, but so very busy. I appreciated that she took the time to show gratitude to others when she could have indulged in her own play time.

    Of course, for her, play often means sitting back with a good book and falling into a story fraught with mystery, adventure, and rich characters.

    DSC_6098

    Thank you, Mr. Grisham, for writing books our children could enjoy! Perhaps you'll make a Theodore Boone film in the not too far distant future? I know one child would would venture out to watch it.

    Until then, I'll continue to watch her, and my little boy. It is my favorite thing to do in all the world. In the midst of all the hullabaloo this past summer, there have been so many distractions. At times I know I missed out on things with my children I ordinarily wouldn't, but I'd like to think that it's okay. We're all still so young, as is our family. There is so much to see and do together still, so I can't let guilt hold onto me as strongly as it has been.

    These moments that I have with my children~even in those that are in between~are incredibly sweet and oftentimes hilarious. It is a blessing to have so many memories.

    And I am blessed to have the two children that helped create them.

    3 Responses to “
    In between Time

    Kerri said...

    My boys love the Vanilla Bean Frapps - but they also like coffee...yikes!
    I adore the picture of the Scallywag reading the map!

    Suburban Princess said...

    My son hasnt got the Sbux taste yet...I tried to get him to sip a vanilla bean thingy once but he wasnt going for it.

    Looks like a busy few weeks since you got to LA!

    Ruth said...

    The cupcakes look wonderful. And I am glad Maddy enjoyed the book.