• Slideshow Widget

    The Place with the Green Awning & Chairs

    Tuesday, August 9, 2011

    Cafe du Monde.

    DSC_6469

    Even if you're not a native to our great city of New Orleans, chances are if you've visited, you've indulged in a hot, powdery plate of beignets. There simply isn't anything on the planet you can compare it to, and though others have attempted to imitate its melt-in-your-mouth perfection, no one has ever succeeded.

    DSC_6438

    For there is only one...and thankfully they're all across the globe!

    You may remember my elation upon discovering a Cafe du Monde in Tokyo? I almost cried it was such a welcome sight.

    Obviously I'm not the only one in my family who loves this spot, and as such, we've had breakfast there twice.

    Once before husband left,

    DSC_6183

    DSC_6187

    and just this past Monday.

    DSC_6458

    DSC_6475

    DSC_6443

    DSC_6456

    Could there be a better way to begin your day?

    No? We didn't think so either!

    But you should know that it's not just about the beignets, or the powdery sugar that clings to everything it touches (and yay for that!).

    DSC_6201

    It's also all about their coffee.

    DSC_6182

    Y'all know I have a great deal of affection for it. The can is a fabulous sight to behold, but it's the chicory that makes it taste so good. I swear it is. It makes the roast so dark, rich, and flavorful.

    I love a bold coffee.

    For all you first timers, though, let me explain why the Cafe au Lait is just so special. First, the consistency: it comes out perfectly every single time. Second: it is filled to the brim, meaning you get your pennies worth. Third: each and every time you put your lips to the ceramic mouth of your cup you'll bite back a gasp of surprise.

    DSC_6180

    Because it tastes that good.

    And when you look at everyones coffee mugs as you finish your meal, you'll notice they all look the same: stained with coffee running down the sides.

    DSC_6437

    Children have the option of milks~which is always chocolate when ours are choosing~and little water glasses filled with ice just in case. The beignets are hot!

    But here's the kicker...the beignets and the coffee are fabulous. But by far the best thing about Cafe du Monde is the simplicity. It's a no-frills establishment that serves one completely unforgettable meal. The staff is courteous, the music jazzy, and the fans are on constant rotation~just like the customers! And that is why people will always return, eat until they're to the point of discomfort, and feel completely at ease to do so.

    DSC_6463

    Rarely will you see a plate not like this one! And thanks to little fingers like these, they'll remain that way.

    DSC_6452

    You'll be doing yourself the greatest service if you stop by while you're in the Crescent City! Don't forget to visit Cafe du Monde.

    7 Responses to “
    The Place with the Green Awning & Chairs

    Mrs. Cozy Home said...

    It was our first stop when we visited NO in early 2006, and it was wonderful!

    Please oh please do tell where you got that beautiful white top, I have been looking for one just like it all summer!

    Julie Z said...

    I haven't been to Cafe Du Monde in YEARS, and I have never had their coffee. Tell me more about chicory and what flavor it brings to the coffee... I'm intrigued!

    Ruth said...

    I wish I could reach through the screen for one. I must remember to get some when I am in town next month. Sorry I couldn't make it while you were there.
    Oh and you better check out my blog tomorrow.

    love ya
    R

    Your Southern Peach said...

    Oh yes, I love Cafe Du Monde! Such a memorable experience.

    They definitely follow the old saying, "Do one thing and do it well!"

    Kerri said...

    Looks dreamy! The South is a wonderful place with so many glorious treasures.
    I am so loving the photo of your parents! The Cafe' should use it for advertisement purposes.

    Erika Lee Sears said...

    I went to New Orleans for the first time last year and loved it- Cafe Du-Monde was so yummy.

    Bink said...

    Oh how I love Cafe Du Monde!!! I always bring back their beignet mix which I can never make anywhere near as good as them. But I try, then remember how awesome it is was to be there in that glorious heaven and swear to get back as soon as possible.

    Beautiful family! The pictures are amazing! Love, love, love the blog!