• Slideshow Widget

    Welcome September!

    Thursday, September 1, 2011

    With the arrival of September comes many wondrous events we've all waited for with anticipation: football season, Autumn, crisp days and chilly nights. And as my friend Anthony reminded me, the arrival of the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. Y'all run out and get one post haste!

    September 1st also brings a challenge. Kate of the blog Southern Belle Simple has issued a month long breakfast challenge. Rather appropriately it's called the Better Breakfast Month.

    DSC_6779

    The goal is to eat a little better in the morning, to improve your morning meal. Whether this means a little less donut and a bit more fruit, it's up to the individual to decide how their breakfast will be a better one. As a mother this struck a chord with me because let's face it, although we always make sure our children have a good, nutritious breakfast, and though it's touted as the most important meal of the day, it's the one most often skipped by adults.

    I've gladly accepted this challenge, not because I'm a breakfast skipper, but because I could use a little variety in my morning repast. Today I started with a favorite that could be eaten any time of the day.

    It's healthy, it uses two of my favorite ingredients, and best of all it is incredibly delicious.

    Ladies and gents...toast with avocado and poached egg.

    DSC_6785

    I cannot for the life of me remember the website that inspired this little dish, but it was shortly after the earthquake in Japan that I began making it. I'm a comfort eater. To make sure that the stress of the earthquake and its aftermath didn't have me running to the wrong foods I spent a good bit of time looking for distractions in the form of healthier recipes.

    And after we returned from our leave of Japan, I began making this toasty meal most mornings.

    You'll love the simplicity as much as I do!

    Toast two slices of bread. Whichever brand you like is fine, I prefer whole grain. Spread one half of a mashed up avocado on your toast slices, then sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on both. Top your toast with a poached egg, a little pepper, and you're ready to enjoy!

    I'm so happy Kate initiated this challenge. It can only help me in both health and breakfast creativity.

    Will you take up this challenge as well?

    2 Responses to “
    Welcome September!

    Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) said...

    THIS. LOOKS. DELISH!!!!!! I know what I'm having for b'fast tomorrow!

    Ally Garner said...

    I would never have thought to put a schmear of avocado on toast with an egg, but my goodness that looks divine. I bet you're enjoying fantastic California produce - yum!