• Slideshow Widget

    Eldest's Room

    Wednesday, November 16, 2011

    As you may remember from my last post, all of our belongings from Charlotte arrived on Monday. We hadn't seen any of our possessions in almost a year and a half, so it felt a little like Christmas morning~all day long.

    There were many moments of, "Oh my God I forgot we had these!", and squeals of happiness as our movers unwrapped some very precious things.

    My top priority, however, was making sure Eldest's room was put together before her surgery tomorrow. This was made a little difficult when the movers informed us that the hardware to her bed was missing. Can you believe that?

    Ordinarily this would not be an issue. But when your daughter sleeps in a tester bed that was passed down to her~and the hardware was antique and specifically made for it~complications will ensue.

    Thankfully, I can report that with a little ingenuity and lots of elbow grease, we were able to remedy the situation and put the bones to Eldest's room together.

    She's so happy.

    Tomorrow afternoon I will bring her home to her room, where all the comforts will be waiting for her.

    There is still much to do, but after we fill her bookcases, hang a little artwork as well as her drapes, her corner of the house will really be spectacular.

    Of course, someone already thinks it's perfect as is. As of yesterday evening, we could barely get Eldest to leave her room! She was delighted to rest in her bed, and sleep beneath familiar covers.

    With her permission, Eldest would like to share her room with you. Enjoy the tour!

    DSC_7580

    Eldest's bed used to be mine, and when I learned 12 years ago that I was going to have a little girl, my heart lept for joy. Heirlooms, much like family traditions, are very important to us. I was so happy to have someone to pass it down to.

    madelines room

    With the exception of the honeycomb matelasse, all of her bedding was custom made by myself and my Mother. It was a labor of love, and one Eldest cherishes. She has been praying that her bedding survived being in storage, and blessedly, it did. The duvet has two different sides: one is the Chinese damask, the other a yellow and white check.

    D20_3569

    Her bed skirt and matching drapes are a larger raw silk check.

    The dresser was picked up in Oxford, and to keep things honest, here is how it looks right now. We'll get it gussied up this evening!

    DSC_7591

    Her French lamps are a favorite. An antique yellow, the curves and scrolls are so feminine they're perfect for the bedroom of a budding young lady.

    DSC_7590

    We still have a little more work to do, but we all agree that when Eldest returns from her surgery tomorrow, she will be surrounded by the people, as well as the things that she loves most. She will be able to rest and recover very comfortably.

    Enjoy your Wednesday all, and if you would, please keep my sweet girl in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning.

    Thank you for stopping by!

    5 Responses to “
    Eldest's Room

    maria said...

    Gorgeous room, adore the fabrics!!! So pretty!

    Deidre said...

    It looks amazing! I have an heirloom bed in my room at my parents house that was my great grandmothers (who I was named after). I absolutely adore it!

    Your Southern Peach said...

    Of course she'll be in my prayers and I know she'll feel right at home in her new space. So important for girls her age to have a place of their own. Great job on the sewing too! I always admire a great seamstress :) I've tried to pick it up but to no avail.

    Ruth said...

    I am glad they were able to get the bed together.

    The Southern Lady said...

    Thank you, lovely ladies! Madeline's room was collaborative effort between three generations of family. We all had input, but each aspect was focused on Madeline, her likes, her favorite things, her heritage. We so want our children to know both sides of their families: the Chinese and the French. We're just happy that the room and bedding is something she can grow with-and like!

    PS-Normailly I wouldn't toot my horn, but I put that bed together and solved the problem of the missing hardware. It was such a debacle and upsetting event, and the movers were contrite, but that's where their responsibility ended. Thankfully a remedy was found!