• Slideshow Widget

    Pumpkin Cupcakes: A Fall Favorite

    Monday, November 21, 2011

    While we're all in the full throws of Autumn, and preparing for Thanksgiving, we may find ourselves very busy. I know we are!

    Not only are we readying ourselves for a very large Thanksgiving dinner in our new home, but tonight my Daddy arrives! We are all very excited~especially my mother. For while it's been wonderful to have her here with us for the month, that's also how long she and Daddy have been apart.

    That is not easy. Believe me, I know.

    In celebration of my sweet Father's arrival I'm sharing one of my most popular posts~and edible treats: pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing. Journey back with me to Tokyo as we make this decadent and delightful cupcake treat.

    Enjoy!

    OCTOBER 9, 2010

    It's no secret that I have a slight addiction to pumpkin. By "pumpkin" I mean its various edible dishes and treats, and by "slight" I mean possibly in serious need of an intervention.

    One of my nearest and dearest, Ruth, is a complete enabler, but I thank her for it. She thoughtfully sends a little note by messenger every time she comes across a new recipe.

    Love you, Ruth! Thank you for your continuous help in my downward spiral.

    In any case, it's Fall, pumpkins are everywhere, and I promised the family a month filled with pumpkin delights. This first week we made a family favorite: pumpkin cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese icing.

    You may recall these delicious beauties from this time last year?

    Pumpkin Cupcake 2

    They were shared with two sweet girls, Casey and Michelle, during a Halloween movie night. The cupcakes received such rave reviews, I knew they'd make another appearance sooner or later.

    Thank goodness sooner is here! It was a real task finding canned pumpkin puree, which was all sorts of shocking considering the stores in Tokyo sell every pumpkin delicacy imaginable. But we were successful in finally locating a can (or 6) and were able to make the most scrumptious pumpkin cupcakes this past weekend.

    D20_0462

    This recipe comes courtesy of the website Patent and the Pantry. You should check out the other recipes not only for their timeless appeal, but because they always turn out beautifully.

    Now without further ado, I'd love to share this yummy treat. May you enjoy making these as much as the children and I did~and delight in eating them even more.

    D20_0475

    D20_0464

    Don't be surprised at how quickly they disappear!

    Pumpkin Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing

    ~2 cups all-purpose flour
    ~1 teaspoon baking soda
    ~1 teaspoon baking powder
    ~1 teaspoon salt
    ~1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ~1 teaspoon ground ginger
    ~1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    ~1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    ~1 cup packed light brown sugar
    ~1 cup granulated sugar
    ~1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    ~4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    ~1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

    Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the spices. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients and beat or whisk until smooth.

    D20_0427

    Then in pumpkin puree.

    D20_0433

    Due to the consistency I beat the mixture at this point. Or, if I'm to be completely honest, Eldest beat the mixture. She's a pro and really enjoys baking!

    D20_0441

    Line the cupcake pan with liners and fill each about halfway with batter. Bake until the tops spring back when touched and a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate the pans if needed. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before icing.


    Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing

    ~8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (very important that it is room temp)
    ~1/2 cup butter, room temperature
    ~3 cups icing sugar, sifted
    ~1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

    Beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla and sugar.


    Due to the fact that we have a Japanese oven~something that's about the size of a microwave~it took 2 hours to bake 18 cupcakes. I could only bake 6 at a time.

    Many prayers for patience were said, but as expected, the wait was completely worth it.

    The cupcakes came out beautifully every single time. They were fluffy, light, and rich in flavor.

    The icing was even more delectable. It was temptation incarnate. Eldest and I may have succumbed a few times, and we may have eaten the leftover icing.

    Or not.

    If we did, however, I may be able to tell you that there is nothing more fun than giggling over a small bowl of leftover icing with your daughter.

    We made enough cupcakes that I knew trouble would come a'calling if we didn't share.

    D20_0452

    Several went to our friends and neighbors and our language teacher. I had a few, the children did as well.

    I suppose it shouldn't have been too surprising that by yesterday evening they were completely gone. Not a crumb was left behind.

    Those pretty and tasty cupcakes may have been kind of good.

    But you don't need my word for it...

    D20_0473

    D20_0490

    Just ask my favorite taste-testers.

    D20_0489

    I'm pretty sure you'll get an honest answer.

    Now friends, go ahead and make these delicious treats! Whip them up for a Thanksgiving dessert or for yourself and your family.

    Either way, you'll be so glad you did! A lovely Thanksgiving week to you all...

    5 Responses to “
    Pumpkin Cupcakes: A Fall Favorite

    Ally Garner said...

    Aww, I'm so glad you get to see your Dad and have your family all together for Thanksgiving. Thank you to you & sweet Ruth for this recipe. I've already bookmarked it :)

    Wishing you all a happy Thanksgiving in your new home!

    rach said...

    I just got plenty of cans of pumpkin in the mail from the states!! I cant wait to make this recipe!!

    Ruth said...

    Tell your daddy Hi! I am glad y'all will all be together for Thanksgiving.

    Your Southern Peach said...

    WOW! These look absolutely scrumptious and I'm glad to see your daughter smiling and enjoying the treats too. :)

    Casey said...

    I made these, too, and they are DELICIOUS! Steve loves pumpkin, so I am always finding new pumpkin recipes for him!