• Slideshow Widget

    Red Beans & Rice

    Thursday, November 3, 2011

    With my wee one battling the tail end of his cold, our evenings and morning feeling positively frigid, and my mother in town, we are all craving the comforts of our Southern home.

    DSC_7427

    So when my mother pulled out a carefully hidden bag of Camellia red beans from her suitcase, we all cheered. Because no southerner~especially one from New Orleans~is going to turn down a hot, flavorful bowl of red beans & rice.

    My mother's recipe happens to be a treasured one, loved by all near and far. And that it not an exaggeration. Eveyone who has taken a fork (or spoon) to her southern cuisine always asks for seconds as well as a copy of her recipe.

    Thankfully, she guards this secret very well. Am I selfish for appreciating her secrecy? Perhaps, but some things should be honored by being kept within a family.

    No worries, though! If you're ever in need of a hot bowl of the best red beans & rice on either side of the Mississippi, I'll be happy to send you a pot or two.

    All you have to do is ask.

    We'll even send along a pan of deliciously buttered cornbread.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I have a slice that ndeds to be slathered in butter and honey for my breakfast. It should be just the thing to help wake us all up this morning.

    What do you crave when you're missing home?

    3 Responses to “
    Red Beans & Rice

    Your Southern Peach said...

    I was hoping for a recipe but I totally understand that some things are sacred! :) The food always tastes so much better too.

    Kathleen said...

    Any chance your mother would recommend a recipe that's close enough to her's, that I could try? Are the beans special and necessary to the recipe? I'm drooling....Thank you!

    Warmly, Kathleen

    Maja said...

    When I'm homesick for my parents' home, (they're in the same city, but still), I think about my Dad's perfectly mashed potatoes with butter and garlic.