• Slideshow Widget

    Seasonal Music

    Wednesday, November 30, 2011

    I love Christmas music~especially the classics. Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, the Andrews Sisters...the more traditional, the better.

    Though I've tried, I've just never been able to get into the Christmas songs sung by our current generation of musicians. There are a few that are okay, but they don't jingle my bells.

    Despite this, there are three musicians that make this time of year merry and bright even without being Christmas classics. Somehow they've always warmed my spirits and lifted the festive atmosphere in our home.

    Perhaps it's their voices, their renditions of yuletide lyrics. It could even be the instruments supporting their vocals. For whatever the reason, it all comes together magically. It's a treat to include them on our yearly Christmas rotations.

    I hope you'll give them a try as well!

    Kenny & Dolly Once Upon a Christmas

    dollykennychristmas

    If you're Southern, and even if you're not, this is Country royalty at its finest. There is something so joyful about Kenny and Dolly when they get together~and even moreso when putting their spin on Christmas tunes.

    Michael Buble Christmas

    michaelbublechristmas

    Though I've heard his other albums, I haven't listened to this one yet. But honestly, how can you go wrong? He brings that vibe of yore back to our favorite Christmas songs and he does it with such panache!

    Red Mountain Church Silent Night

    redmountainmusic

    After learning about Red Mountain Church's music through Darby of Fly Through Our Window, I had to give this music a try. I love church musicians. They really put their hearts and souls into their songs and this album is no exception. It's acoustic Christmas and gloriously beautiful. Haunting at times. "Silent Night" is achingly wonderful to listen to as is "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus". I encourage you to listen to their other songs as well as they're both spiritual and lovely.

    And now that I've shared my favorite more contemporary Christmas albums and musicians, why don't you?

    What makes your holly jolly and your spirits merry and bright? I'd love to know!

    A glorious last day of November to you all...

    9 Responses to “
    Seasonal Music

    Linda said...

    I also generally prefer Christmas classics. A couple of exceptions are anything by Mannheim Steamroller, and Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.

    Katie said...

    Kenny and Dolly's "A Christmas to Remember" is one of my favorite holiday songs!

    And "Christmas in Dixie", that is another great one. :D

    Ally Garner said...

    Those are some excellent choices! Love the Dolly & Kenny album. My parents had that one.

    I love George Winston's December, any of Harry Connick Jr's Christmas CDs, Barenaked Ladies For The Holidays, MeercyMe's The Christmas Sessions, and Celine Dion's These Are Special Times.

    Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

    Josh Groban is my very fav! The song he does with Faith Hill is just awesome. If you don't have this album- you must buy it this week. Sooo good!! But I also love two favorites from I think the 90's- Amy Grant and Mariah Carey. Don't judge- ha. They are both really fun albums.

    Denyse Bean said...

    We prefer mostly Christmas classics, as well. One of our favorites is the Sinatra Christmas Album. It's the first one we pull out the day after Thanksgiving! Of course, being in Memphis you can't forget Elvis' Christmas Album!

    Ruth said...

    I really like Harry Connick Jr.'s cd. Though I had The Rat Pack cd on while decorating the tree

    Kerri @OhMann! said...

    I love the classics as well!
    Side note on Kenny & Dolly, in college I worked for a dress shop and we were required to play that cassette tape in the store REPEATEDLY every day from Thanksgiving on. Never got old, though! ;)

    Merobs said...

    OMG! The Kenny and Dolly CD is my all time favorite and so many people don't know about it. For several years they had the special on but I haven't seen it on for years. That whole CD reminds me of my childhood Christmases and always will!

    Merobs said...

    Oh and I forgot to leave my other favorite John Denver, Rocky Mountain Christmas. Not so much for the traditional songs, but for Aspenglow, A Baby Just Like You and Perhaps Love, the song I danced to with my dad the day I got married. It's one of the prettiest songs ever and the words are incredible!