• Slideshow Widget

    Girlfriends on Ice

    Monday, December 19, 2011

    As some of you may know, this Saturday was a day of great anticipation. I was taking Eldest and two of her girlfriends from the neighborhood skating at Thousand Oaks Holiday Ice Rink.

    skaters3

    Nothing quite says Christmas like bundling up for an afternoon of ice skating, don't you think?

    Even in southern California, the weather is cold, and they're able to maintain a lovely outdoor ice rink.

    skaters1

    We had fun plans for Saturday: a bookstore stop, ice skating, then hot chocolate to warm us from the inside out. Plans things changed slightly when I came down with a horrendous case of food poisoning while at the rink, but Husband really saved the day.

    God bless him.

    He took my place, the girls never noticed, and they continued on with giggles and big smiles.

    skaters2

    Eldest was a little hesitant when she first stepped onto the rink, but after a few minutes of hugging the wall, she ventured out onto the ice on her own. One of her friends had more practice on the ice and encouraged her to keep going~which she did!

    I was proud of her. Their other friend wasn't quite as ready, so they all stuck together, making sure no one was left out.

    skaters

    What a wonderful gaggle of girls Eldest has as friends! They are so sweet and thoughtful~not to mention swept up with the Christmas spirit.

    Though I was stuck in bed, I heard them as they all came caroling at our home last night. The scallywag was so excited when they sang his holiday favorite, "Jingle Bells". And if that wasn't enough, a parade celebrating Christmas rolled down our street for everyone to see.

    Normal Rockwell couldn't have painted a more beautiful picture of a small-town Christmas...and to think it was all happening in our front yard!

    It's a year of celebrating so many blessings. Even though I'm still not completely recovered, my heart feels light and happy. That my family is experiencing such a wonderful holiday in our new home means so much.

    I couldn't ask for much more this Christmas.

    A very Merry Monday to you all!

    4 Responses to “
    Girlfriends on Ice

    JMW said...

    They look like they had such fun and what a great way to ring in the holidays! Hope you are feeling better!

    Ruth said...

    I am sad you missed out on the fun with the girls but so happy you are feeling better

    Kerri @OhMann! said...

    How charming! WI wouldn't have thought that rink was in soCal! :)
    Hope your food poisoning didn't last long - I know how awful that is!

    The Southern Lady said...

    JMW~Long time so see, honey! I hope you and your sweet family in KY are doing well. I've got to step by and check in on you. I'm feeling so much better, thank you, and that the girls were oblivious and had a wonderful day made the situationb bareable. I would have felt even more miserable if I'd embarassed Madeline in any way.

    Ruth~I was sad, too, but those girls are such a good group and had a marvelous time.

    Kerri~Isn't it funny? California surprises me every day! My stomach is still on the mend, though I'm back to a more normal routine now. Thanks so much for your sweet words.