• Slideshow Widget

    Grillades & Asiago Cheese Grits

    Tuesday, January 31, 2012

    We're fairly settled into our little California bungalow, and as such, many of our favorite kitchen items are in full use.

    Some are not.

    We loved the idea of a slow-cooker, but I have had an irrational fear of the "set it and forget it" mentality that comes along with using it. Tell me I'm not alone. I'm begging you. Please. Because there is a part of me that feels if I leave something to cook on its own for 3-4 hours, disaster will strike.

    It's taken me a little while to woman up and finally meet this strange worry head on, but this weekend I did it. The stainless slow-cooker was placed on the counter, I flipped through several magazines, and ultimately decided on a classic southern dish: grillades & grits.

    D20_8364
     

    Could you think of a better meal to initiate yourself into the slow-cooker club with? I couldn't, and since the recipe was met with unanimous "YUMMY"'s, it was going to happen.

    Long story short, the entire process was incredibly easy and our home didn't burn down. There was no terrible disaster, and we barely had enough remaining to call leftovers. It was that good~and you know what that means...I just have to share this easy recipe from Southern Living with you all!

    Southern Living's Grillades & Asiago Cheese Grits
    For the grillades:
    Serves 6

    1 1/2 lb. top round steak, trimmed, 1/2 in thick
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. Creole seasoning
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 14 oz. can of fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
    1 10 oz. package of frozen & diced onion, red & green bell pepper, and celery thawed*
    3 garlic cloves, pressed

    1.) Place the steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4 thickness, using a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet. Cut into 2 inch squares.

    2.) Combine flour and seasoning in a large freezer bag. Add the steak, seal bag, and shake to coat.

    3.) Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add half of the steak, cooking 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer steak to a lightly-greased slow-cooker. Repeat with the rest of your oil and steak.

    4.) Add tomatoes and next 2 ingredients to the slow cooker and stir.

    5.) Cover and cook on HIGH 3 hours or until tender. Serve over Asiago cheese grits.

    *A note: I wasn't able to find a bag with the frozen onions, bell peppers, and celery so I used fresh ones instead, and used a little bit of guess work as to how much would be inside a 10 oz. bag.

    For the Asiago Cheese Grits:
    Serves 6


    If you have a second slow-cooker, it's suggested you use the following recipe. That said, as most of us don't own two, follow the stove-top directions on your grits carton using the same ingredients.  It will yield the same results.

    1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
    1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
    1 Tbsp. butter
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

    1.) Stir together grits and 3 cups of water in a slow-cooker. Let stand 1-2 minutes, allowing grits to settle to the bottom. Skim any solids off the top. Cover and cook on HIGH 2 1/2-3 hours or until grits are creamy and tender, stirring every 45 minutes.

    2.) Stir in cheese and next 3 ingredients until blended.

    A few more notes: As I used the stove-top for our grits, and we like our grits to be more firm than runny, I used one cup less of water. It cooked beautifully, but was a little too thick so I thinned it out with a 1/4 cup of milk. It reached the perfect consistency and helped make our grillades & grits heaven on a plate!

    D20_8366
    Now if any of you are looking to give your slow-cooker's a whirl~start with this recipe! I know you'll love it as much as our family did.
     
     

    3 Responses to “
    Grillades & Asiago Cheese Grits

    Ally Garner said...

    I'm the same way about a slow cooker. I use it on Sundays primarily, to cook lunch while we're at church. I'm always afraid we'll come home to a disaster. Never happens though, thank God.

    I've made that grillades & grits recipe before & it was divine. I don't know I haven't made it again though. Great reminder for me to whip up this recipe next Sunday maybe. Yours looks delicious!

    Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

    Oh my BFF is the same way- though I mock her tirelessly- ha. But I use mine at least once a week in both the winter and summer (doesn't heat up my kicthen - awesome on hot hot days). I have tons of recipes on my blog. Just type in crockpot in the search box. I seriously have appliance love for that thing. You could put a shoe in and it would come out delish!

    Ruth said...

    It sounds and looks amazing. And I am really glad you got over that fear of the slow cooker.