• Slideshow Widget

    New Year, New Art

    Friday, January 6, 2012

    A belated Happy New Year to you all!

    It's been a really nice break away from the computer. Time spent with my family has been precious and as expected, over far too soon. I was not ready to send the children back to school on Tuesday.

    Christmas was good, a little quiet without visits with family, but it was still really nice and laid back. We had a chance to see movies, dine out, play, and even do a little shopping.

    We all made good buys~including some crazy orange kicks purchased by Husband. They're insane! But my favorite by far was the painting I found for the scallywag's room.

    painting3

    I'd been looking for something to put over his chest of drawers for a while, but nothing seemed to fit. There was no way I was going to force a purchase. Whatever made its way above the dresser, I wanted it to work in our little guy's room. It had to be young, fun, and unexpected.

    One trip to the Salvation Army changed everything!

    painting2

    Hidden on a very high shelf was this whimsical rainbow wheel painted by Una Lawrence. It was brilliant, and as Eldest said, loud and happy just like her brother. There's sisterly honesty for you!

    painting1

    I tend to look up artists and nothing was found on Ms. Lawrence, but she was obviously local and tried to sell the painting for a lot more in an art show. The tag for the show was still on the back, so our find was a steal!

    painting

    After a week, I'm still not sure what I love most: the texture of the acrylics, the pretty linen and aged gold frame, the vivid color...it's just perfect for the scallywag's room.

    Best yet, the picture pulls from other elements in the room, namely the green in the striped Dash & Albert rug and the tan from the houndstooth coverlet on the bed.

    DSC_8100

    Yes, it needs to be ironed badly, but it's a task I'm getting around to. Hopefully soon!

    I know we've all heard it before, but never discount your local thrift stores. Not only are the prices always right, but you never know what treasures you're going to find. Go to Goodwill, give the Salvation Army a chance, visit your local Habitat for Humanity home store and other consignment shops in your area.

    Your pocketbook won't be hurting, and you're helping those who are in great need.

    Perhaps that's the greatest treasure of all.

    A lovely Friday to each of you, and as always, thank you for stopping by!

    4 Responses to “
    New Year, New Art

    Beth said...

    I really like it, so colorful! I love getting a good find when you least expect it. :)

    The Southern Lady said...

    Thank you so much, Beth! It was a great find and I'm so glad my little boy has something as colorful and bright in his room. Aren't unexpected finds the best? A lovely weekend to you and your sweet family!

    Ruth said...

    I love it. Looks wonderful

    Kerri @OhMann! said...

    What a lucky find! I love thrifting, but I never have time anymore. I need to start using my lunchbreak here and there and making a trip sans children. :)