• Slideshow Widget

    Simply Southern Saturdays: Sweet, Sweet Strawberries

    Saturday, January 28, 2012

    Growing up in Louisiana, Strawberry festivals were an event you looked forward to each spring. It involved a little bit of traveling to get to the site in Pontchatula, but once you arrived, it was strawberry serendipity in every which direction. Picking, eating, drinking~all the while there was dancing to music and playing games.

    I'm happy to say my children have inherited my love of this pretty red berry, and though I usually have to remind Eldest to eat hers, the scallywag~our voracious eater~is always asking for them.

    This is a very common scene:

    D20_8293

    My son sitting atop the countertops nibbling away at some fruit. If I happen to be in the kitchen preparing a meal, he'll ask to be picked up then request a snack. I'll cook, he'll eat and jabber away. We always have the sweetest, silliest conversations! On this particular day I was whipping up grilled cheeses with strawberries on the side.

    strawberries1

    The side quickly disappeared as he inhaled everything that was left in the carton!

    D20_8309

    Ever cautious, he rinsed each strawberry before indulging, allowing me to cut off the stems. Then down the hatch they went.

    D20_8311

    I'm forever thankful that both children are good eaters, and more often than not, at least one of them will ask for a healthy handout if they're hungry. I'll go on record as saying it's why they have such amazingly long lashes and rosy cheeks.

    strawberries

    As for my son and his countertop snacks...Adorable. It warms my heart to spend time with my children, and it's in the unexpected moments that the most joy is found.

    They're just as sweet as strawberries.

    D20_8318

    4 Responses to “
    Simply Southern Saturdays: Sweet, Sweet Strawberries

    Ally Garner said...

    Good gracious that little one is too adorable for words!

    Amy R. said...

    Adorable and sweet for sure!
    xo
    Amy R.

    Ruth said...

    I am glad they love them too

    Sara said...

    he is so precious! what wonderful memories you're making during those countertop chats. I spent my childhood at strawberry festivals and to this day their still my favorite fruit. my mom used to say instead of weighing the basket when we'd go strawberry picking it would be kinder to the farmer to first weigh me on the way in and then again on the way out because i would eat so many right in the fields!