• Slideshow Widget

    Meet Me at Jinky's Cafe

    Monday, February 6, 2012



    Banana's foster. Pecan pie. Cobbler. Pralines. Bread pudding. There are just some desserts that are quintessentially Southern. You know them by name, crave them at first sight, and enjoy each and every nibble & bite.

    But how can we discuss Southern desserts without mentioning the crème de la crème of all sweet treats? Of course, I'm talking about red velvet.

    It doesn't seem to matter how it's prepared, cake or otherwise. The moment the words "red velvet" are spoken, everyone wants a bite. Goodness knows my daughter & I no exception. We love our red velvet in every way, shape, and form. And though we always return to the classic red velvet cake, there's something to be said for its various incarnations.

    Imagine our delight when Husband mentioned a place nearby that served red velvet pancakes. Red velvet for breakfast? Yes, please!

    Friends, I'd love to take you to Jinky's Cafe, where their motto is "better than breakfast in bed".

    jinkyscafe

    Jinky's is a very cozy restaurant~perfect for an early breakfast or a late dinner. Dark floors, dark wood paneling, darkened booths and tables surround you like a warm hug. Vintage prints from around the world keep the restaurant from being too stodgy and oppressive, as does the playfulness of the food and staff.

    When I asked my very perky waitress for some coffee, she returned with an entire carafe. Surprise! I only wanted a cup, but as I was told, it was the policy to give each customer an entire pot~and once I had a sip, I was thankful. Usually I don't like restaurant coffee, but Jinky's won me over. It was strong, hot, and rich.

    jinkys2

    But I hadn't travelled from home for their coffee. I was there for red velvet pancakes.

    jinkys1

    Gorgeous aren't they? My very happy waitress placed them before me and the anticipation was so great, I may have clapped my hands like a delighted child. Not only were they large and three deep, but they smelled divine. The marscapone atop the pancakes was an unexpected detail~a lovely departure from the traditional cream cheese.

    It didn't take long for me to make a significant dent. Each warm bite was savored and the creaminess of the melting marscapone was throughly marvelled over. Without a doubt it was very indulgent~almost too much so. I didn't even come close to finishing.

    jinkys

    But that doesn't mean I didn't try. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all.

    The next time you find yourself in Agoura Hills or Sherman Oaks, stop by Jinky's Cafe and have your own red velvet pancakes, or perhaps a bananas foster's crepe. Whatever you choose to order, I'm pretty sure you'll walk away full and happy.

    A lovely Monday to you all!

    6 Responses to “
    Meet Me at Jinky's Cafe

    Beth said...

    Oh. my. goodness. I love red velvet. I love pancakes. I love the picture of the red velvet pancake. Wow! I may just have to travel to Cali to taste these.

    You've made me very hungry this morning! ;)

    The Southern Lady said...

    Honey, should you ever find yourself out this way, not only will you always have a place to stay, but I promise you a visit to Jinky's for some red velvet delights! Enjoy your Monday, Beth!

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    Casey said...

    wow - these look delightful. you can never go wrong with chocolate for breakfast!

    Ally Garner said...

    Oh my word those look decadent! I've had a recipe for red velvet pancakes bookmarked for months, but have yet to make them. I think you just gave me some inspiration!

    Speaking of red velvet inspiration, this collection of 30 RV recipes was in my Reader over the weekend. Thought you might wanna see it. Have a great week Elizabeth!

    Meg said...

    Elizabeth you should start yelping! People would love your honest feedback!!

    Ruth said...

    I hope I am assuming correctly that this is on the list of places we are visiting when I come in the fall.