• Slideshow Widget

    Simply Southern Saturdays : Fundraiser Fun

    Saturday, February 4, 2012

    One of the greatest joys I've experienced in 12 years of parenting has been my involvement in both children's schools. From a PTO VP, to Cultural Chair, to a room parent, I've done it all and loved every moment.

    Since the scallywag began school this year, I was excited to go back to my roots as a room parent and tackle party planning, picture taking, and social outings for our children. It's been so much fun.

    One of the more unexpected joys, though, has been in preparing for tonight's fundraiser, 70's Vegas Night.

    As a room parent, I had the responsibility of choosing a theme for a basket to be raffled off during the auction portion of the evening. "Date Night" was my first choice since there were infinite ways to make it amazing. Mulling over a few ideas, I decided to get my other room parent's thoughts since she was familiar with the area and more of the parents. She would know what people would want to bid on, and to this day I am so glad we talked! After informing me that she could get tickets donated to the Hollywood Bowl, the basket and its contents became a clear picture in my mind. The whole thing almost took on a life of its own as it went from "Date Night" to "Date Night Under the Stars".

    For the most part everything seemed to fall neatly into place. Soon our basket was overflowing with both purchases and donations. We had champagne, wine, chocolates, nuts, crackers, glasses, candles, and a very plush picnic blanket, a voucher to a local restaurant as well as the tickets to the Hollywood Bowl. It didn't take long for our class basket to become the talk of the school. It was exciting being right in the thick of it! Getting it to this point wasn't without its frustrations, believe me, but seeing it on display this morning made it all worth it. It makes getting ready for this evening's event so exciting!

    Bell-bottoms, mod, Brady Bunch-esque outfits, tie-die, and retro glam will be all the rage tonight as we gamble for a good cause!

    As for me, I'll be channeling this grand dame in all of her 70's glamour:

    elizabethtaylor

    From the cascading hair, to the dark brows, to the violet eyes & over the top jewelry~I'm going to try to do Ms. Taylor proud. I'll also try to get pictures as I boogie down to the tunes of the 70's!

    Until next week, let the good times~and the dice~roll!

    3 Responses to “
    Simply Southern Saturdays : Fundraiser Fun

    Ally Garner said...

    That sounds like so much fun. Hope y'all raise a ton of money!

    Beth Dunn said...

    Love her! You'll look fab
    xoxo
    sc

    Ruth said...

    The basket sounds wonderful. I am sure it made a lot of money