• Slideshow Widget

    Happy Birthday Jackson!

    Friday, June 15, 2012

    Today is a very special day. Today, my little boy turns 4 years old.

    jack

    He's such a doll!

    This year, the scallywag's birthday has brought us even more reason to celebrate. For us, this birthday is extra special. Today we're celebrating the obstacles our little guy has worked very hard to overcome.

    And overcome he has!

    What most people don't know is that our little guy came home to the US with a pretty severe speech delay. He couldn't communicate, he became frustrated very easily, and he was very much a child who loathed being the center of attention. He was content to hide behind my skirt or in another room when people were around.

    We knew introducing him to school would help him in many ways, but there were also educators to meet, doctors to consult, evaluations to be had. As parents, my husband and I were very worried that there could be something deeper at the root of his speech issues. There were many sleepless nights, times when I just wanted to cry. But in the end I always wound up praying and working harder with my little guy. I could only hope to see him blossom as he was meant to do.

    And wouldn't you know, he did.

    jack1

    There were some very rough spots initially, but after four months of school my little boy was evaluated and diagnosed with only a mild speech delay. His hearing was perfect, he was ahead of most of the learning curves, and his sunny and often mischievous personality was really beginning to peak through.

    Best of all, he was talking.

    His voice is possibly the sweetest sound I've ever heard, and while there are still a few more miles to go until his speech is where it needs to be, he is now able to talk easily. The scallywag has a hilarious personality and keeps us in stitches daily. He and Eldest spend hours playing and talking, husband and I can chat and laugh with him as often as we'd like.

    What's more, the child who once shied from any attention whatsoever is now the class ham and adores performing for an audience. He is the child who sings the loudest in every performance, knows every word to every song, does all the dances, and giggles in between performances. He eggs on his friends to enjoy it as much as he is. He is a boisterous, happy child who adores a crowd!



    For that we couldn't be more grateful. Today we celebrate the many ways our little boy has grown and the hurdles he's had to go through to get here. He is such a special child and no doubt will do special things in his life.

    Happy birthday to my sweetest Jackson! We love you and can't wait to see what's to come.

    3 Responses to “
    Happy Birthday Jackson!

    Ally Garner said...

    Happy Birthday to the sweet, handsome, funny scallywag!!

    Can't thank you enough for sharing that video. It made my day! :) Don't you know Jesus is delighted with joy & love when He sees His precious little ones singing "Yes, Jesus love me!"

    And I'm especially happy for you all that Jackson has blossomed and is growing up to be such a happy, smart, loving little boy. Blessings to you all!

    Ruth said...

    Happiest Birthday to my eldest nephew! Who knew a boy could change my life so much.

    Kerri @OhMann! said...

    How wonderful!
    Happy birthday big boy!