• Slideshow Widget

    An Autumn Mantle

    Wednesday, September 12, 2012

    When we moved into our home last year, October was halfway over. All of my time was spent making sure the children were settling into our new house comfortably, helping my son through a month of "first time at school" colds, and unpacking. There was so much unpacking there wasn't a whole lot of time decorating~even for Halloween.

    mantle.jpg

    I gave myself a hard time about it because, duh, I'm the mom and I'm supposed to make every holiday super sparkly, fun, and memorable. And it was. We had no decorations, but we had each other and it was a blast.

    It was during that time that I learned a pretty obvious lesson: decorations do add to an occasion, but they do not make it. Our family did. Looking back, it was nice not having to worry about tearing boxes apart so we could try and make our home look Autumnal. It was much more enjoyable to just be there with my family and relax during our time together.

    I love getting our home prettied up, don't get me wrong. I'm not abandoning dressing our home to celebrate the seasons. But what I want to do is spend less time fretting about changing things out and scrambling to get ready for the next holiday.

    mantle2.jpg

    To save time I decided the key would be to use a foundation that would be easily interchangable~no matter the time of year. Enter the garlands for our mantle. They were perfect because they weren't season specific (which isn't as easy to find as you would think). There were also little springs of berries nestled between the green that, in a strange way, reminded me of magnolia leaves.

    Since the colors are shades of velvety brown and rich green, it's a great neutral base for each season, and as the colors remind me of those lovely magnolias, there will always be a sweet reminder of home nearby.

    mantle1.jpg

    Obviously our mantle is in its bare bones stage, and I may lay it across the mantle instead of hanging it. But right now I am a happy girl since it's that much less that I need to do in the upcoming months. This makes me very happy!

    If there was something you could do to make decorating for the holidays less time consuming, what would it be?

    One Response to “
    An Autumn Mantle

    Ruth said...

    It looks wonderful I can't wait to see it next week.