• Slideshow Widget

    Day Twelve: A New Hope

    Thursday, December 13, 2012

    Y'all, yesterday was a bad day. A really bad day. There were times I was tempted to ask how much worse it could get but I knew~I knew~that if I said the words out loud, I'd be inviting trouble in. The universe would get me. The day ended with me near tears and friends, I cannot tell you the last time I had a day like that. It's been years.

    During it all, there was this moment that I shared with my children. It was the only light during the day and it helped to give me some perspective.

    A few days ago I came home to find a large pink bag stuffed in the handle of our front door. It was a donation bag to the New Hope for Troubled Lives.

    25days35

    It's a little like the Salvation Army in that it collects various items for people in need. They'll accept anything, but primarily want clothing donations. I was at my wits end and needed something constructive to do. So I grabbed that pink bag and called the children to come help me. Together we went through the clothes we could no longer wear and started bagging them.

    25days34

    Eldest held the bag while the scallywag stuffed it, and they had the best time. Seeing their joy in giving eased some of the tension I was feeling. It didn't go away, but as I watched them work in tandem, I was once again humbled with a reality check. As bad as my day was yesterday, someone else, perhaps the person who will receive our clothes, was having an even worse one. Someone who would undoubtedly be happy to trade their problems for mine. Though my day was rough for some very valid reasons, I realized these were things I could get through. Prayer would help, so would sleep, and so would a big glass of wine.

    I went to sleep last night being very thankful the day was over. Tomorrow held new promise. I closed my eyes focusing on the blessings we have, especially the two great helpers that I am so grateful for.

    25days33

    Now to turn this post around~there is a winner I have to announce! Late last night someone won these gorgeous earrings from Construct Jewlery.

    earrings

    I am pleased to announce that the winner is....Casey Liadis! Casey, if you'll send me your address, I'll be sure to get these beauties out to you ASAP. Thank you all for putting your names in the proverbial hat and supporting a local New Orleans business. I appreciate it, and I know Lauren does, too.

    25daysofchristmas1


    2 Responses to “
    Day Twelve: A New Hope

    Gramspearls said...

    Dear dear Elizabeth,

    I'm sending a few Hail Mary's your way....some days you just need a few extra to keep putting one foot in front of the other. All your 'Giving' will come back to you.

    Warmly, Kathleen

    Casey Liadis said...

    Yessss! Thanks so much, Beth! What a fun Christmas surprise. Thanks so much! I follow your friend from Construct on fb now - love her stuff!

    So sorry to hear you've had a rough week. I'll add you to my prayer list.

    Will send you an email with my new address.

    All my best,
    Casey