• Slideshow Widget

    Baking Bacon

    Thursday, January 24, 2013

    Bacon. Our family is a great enjoyer of this pork product. One might even say we love it. It's not something we have often, but when we do my husband is the one in the kitchen, brandishing chopsticks as he flips it piece by piece.

    Here's the thing...back when we lived in Charlotte I would fix bacon with an almost alarming frequncy. Why? Because it was so easy to pop it in the oven! It's not really a foreign concept anymore, baking bacon. But people still find it a bit mystifying. Why mess with a cooking method that already works perfectly fine? While I can't speak for others, I can tell you why I prefer it. For one, I find the bacon has a better texture, and two, with all the grease dripping into the baking sheet below, it's also a little healthier.

    Just a smidge.

    Last week the children and I opted to have breakfast for dinner and wouldn't you know it, bacon was on the menu. Personally, I don't enjoy standing in front of sizzling pans of grease, getting splattered and burned, so I decided to go back to my preferred baking method. In the end, the bacon was just as we remembered: crispy, chewy, and delicious.

    Goodness I'm hungry just thinking about it. Aren't you? Aren't you ready for some of your very own baked bacon? Well, friends, just read on and you'll be enjoying your own in no time at all!

    Baked Bacon

    I'm going to go on record as saying that this works best on thick-cut bacon. Regular bacon tends to shrivel up a little too much and really, if you are going to eat bacon, do you want small or hearty slices? Hearty? Me, too. Glad to see we're all on the same page!

    bacon

    Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. In a sheet pan, place either parchment paper, foil, or a baking rack and lay your bacon on top. I prefer baking racks since the bacon just swims in grease if it's on parchment paper or foil~but that's just me. Be sure there is no overlap when you lay your bacon down. Pop the sheet pan into the oven, and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Ovens vary so you may want to keep an eye on your bacon the first time you bake it. Once the bacon is cooked, remove the tray from the oven, plate it, and after you enjoy your crispy treat, clean up is a cinch!

    bacon1

    Now who's going to bake some bacon tonight?

    One Response to “
    Baking Bacon

    Lori Ellen said...

    Just baked some bacon tonight for a recipe. It turned out beautifully! Thanks for the suggestion!