• Slideshow Widget

    Mardi Gras Around the Home

    Tuesday, January 15, 2013

    While hosting a play date this weekend, I had a mother gesture to our Mardi Gras tree with a questioning glance.

    "Does this mean anything? I don't know the masks and colors."

    mardigrashome2

    Y'all, I love opportunities to talk about home, but it's great source of pride to be able to discuss Mardi Gras with my friends as well. You may be surprised to know that there are plenty of people who don't really know what this time of year is about. They hear "Mardi Gras" and automatically think of Bourbon Street and drunken debauchery.

    To be fair, there is a bit of that, but my Lord, that is a very small part of the big picture. Mardi Gras the enormous swell of excitement in your chest when you see your first float. It's the sweet taste of King Cake on your tongue and hearing The Meters belt out "Mardi Gras Mambo". It's the Living pages showing a host of Balls, hearing the joyful cries of "Throw me something mister!!", and trying to decide if you'll be on the sidewalk side or neutral ground during the parades. Parade ladders, costumed people, High School bands, and purple, green, and gold are everywhere! You can't help but be swept away by the fervor of the season because ultimately, that is what Mardi Gras is all about: the good times. And as we're very fond of saying in New Orleans: Laissez les bon temps rouler!

    Slowly but surely we've been adding Mardi Gras decor around our home. It's nothing grand or fancy, but it makes us happy. Little bits of the season have such a great impact on us. Come and see what we've done to bring a little of New Orleans to Los Angeles!

    mardigrashome4

    mardigrashome3

    mardigrashomecollage

    From the front door, to the children's rooms, to seating areas around the house, our home is feeling very festive! The children move things around when I'm not looking~especially this precious wreath sent by a new friend, Melanie. They're having the best time decorating on their own.

    This is where I found it this morning.

    mardigrashome8

    They're having so much fun with it and really, that's all I could hope for.

    Happy Tuesday all, and remember, let the good times roll!!!

    4 Responses to “
    Mardi Gras Around the Home

    Ruth said...

    How does someone not know about Mardi Gras?

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Well, she's originally from Germany, but also people don't see these kind of things out here so they don't automatically associate our decorations with Mardi Gras. It's strange for me to comprehend, too, but it's true.

    Andie said...

    YAY! and yes, I agree... people always think Mardi Gras is just about getting drunk and boob flashing and beads- they know nothing of the whole deal! My sister was even lucky to go to the Rex meeting of the courts one year! I love all of that part of it moreso than the parades!

    Roux In A Wok said...

    You inspired me to keep my Christmas wreath and change it....I linked to you at Roux. Kathleen