• Slideshow Widget

    Birthday Wish List

    Monday, February 4, 2013

    With my birthday right around the corner, there is one question being asked with increasing frequency: "What do you want?"

    This always takes a bit of thought. You wouldn't think this would be the case, but I always feel put on the spot when asked. My mind goes completely blank. And much to the annoyance of my loved ones these eight words always pop out: "I don't know. I don't really need anything."

    This year I resolved to be prepared. It required some searching, but in the end a very nice list~a wish list~came together. Funnily enough almost all had to do with the home: cooking, living, and entertaining. I guess we all know where my head is these days!

    birthdaycollage

    1. Coming Home: The Southern Vernacular House~ It's no secret that I miss home. It was a gift to live in various southern cities, Tokyo, and now California. The weather is phenomenal, but palm trees really don't do anything for me. Every time I see one my mind immediately goes to days of climbing the mossy, grand oaks in Audubon Park. I miss homes with screened porches, classic architechture, the slightly slower pace. I even miss the jargon: foyer, parlor, patio, neutral ground. It's many little things that make my Southern home most precious to me.

    2. Formal China~ Our IKEA white everyday dishes are great. They're always clean and crisp looking~which we love. But I miss being able to pull out the Wedgewood when I want to make things a little more special. We have a beautiful pattern, Wedgewood India, and a lovely set by Lenox from my grandmother. Both are in New Orleans with my parents though, and I'm not taking the risk that something happens to them if they're shipped. I've been looking for a long time and of all the patterns I fell in love with, it was a discontinued one by Haviland Limoges-Haviland's Schleiger 1203-1 to be precise. It's a pipe dream, but it would be nice to have a pretty set of dishes to mix with our every day white or use when Eldest and I take tea.

    3. J. Crew's Herringbone Vest~ It was "the" item to purchase this Christmas and can you blame the masses? It's a herringbone vest! A classic pattern on a simple wardobe addition. It looks great dressed up or down, and unlike most of J. Crew's seasonal vests, this is a versatile peiece. It's also sold out everywhere I've looked. Oh, well. A girl can still enjoy the eye candy!

    4. Pottery Barn's Pewter Napkin Rings~ I am a big believer in using your linens. That's just how I was brought up. You use your crystal, you use your silver, you use your china, and by God you use your table linens. It's all everyday ware! Of course, I'm a little more pragmatic than that. With a four year old boy there is no way (if they were in our possessioin) I would use our crystal day to day. But I do try to use what we do have on hand. We always have our linen placemats out, and if you've seen my Instagram pictures, I have a bit of a hemstiched napkin obsession collection. Logically, the next step would be to find some lovely napkin rings to use with them. These pewter ones from Pottery Barn would fit the bill perfectly!

    5. Pottery Barn's Rectangular Tava Placemat's in Honey~ I'm trying to shake things up with our table settings. We have a ton of linens. They're pretty, but also a little boring. I'm ready to add some texture to our table. Layering rattan with linens and our white dishes is just the ticket! The Tava placemats in honey would look wonderful against the dark finish on our table.

    6. Pottery Barn's Rustic Luxe Napkins in Flax~ Why don't I just add one of everything from the Pottery Barn catalog, right? Ha! Really, this is just me trying to further add texture and something a little more feminine to our table. I love linen napkins, but it's the flange that just kills! I love the delicate ruffle. It's not too stiff, and definitely not fussy. It strikes the perfect balance of casual elegance and charm that every table should have. (Or mine, at least!)

    7. C. Wonder's Monogrammed Cheese Board with Spreader~ Much as my daughter entertains, I love having my friends over as well. This is one item that would be used many times, and in my opinion, many ways. I'm a firm believer in finding multiple purposes for objects around the home and this cheese board would be great for small desserts, sandwhiches, and fruit spreads. The fact that it's mongrammed just makes it that much more appealing. I am really digging the "Q"!

    8. Williams-Sonoma's Olive Wood Cooks' Spoon~ I love the French Cooks' Spoons, but after 13 years ours are nearing the end of their lives. They're splitting at the top, they absorb the smell of what is being prepared, and just last week one of them gave me a splinter. Not cool. I've looked around and found that this Olive Wood spoon fits the requirements for what I need in the kitchen. I'm not wild about the price~really not wild about the price. But it's a dense wood that won't absorb odors, has a unique design, and can be used in any tupe of dish or pan. Maybe I'll go take a look in person and see how they measure up. Can't hurt can it?

    9. The Great American House~ Another book that caught my eye is "The Great American House: Tradition for the Way We Live Now". I'm a traditional girl at heart. My tastes run ecclectic at times~just look at our art collection. But over all, I love traditional lines and architecture. This book by architect Gil Schafer celebrates his own traditional style by "illustrating how he blends classical architecture, interior decoration, and landscape to create homes with a feeling of history". Schafer manages to blend the old with the new, yet retains the character of what makes us return to traditional design again and again. One day, when we are in our permanent home, I plan to look to this book as a guide.

    Honestly, I don't really expect to get anything on this list. I told my husband I wanted to go to Krispy Kreme since I hadn't had a good donut in ages and boy am I excited!! That said, by making this wish list I was able to see where my interests really lie these days. I was surprised to find myself so engrossed with all things kitchen and table. I spend so much time in there every day I thought my focus would be on things that were more...relaxing. Color me shocked.

    So what about you? Are you sometimes surprised by your interests? The things that you like? I'd love to hear about it!

    6 Responses to “
    Birthday Wish List

    Katie @ Team Skelley said...

    I have a rattan serving tray that I love, but I gravitate towards all things rattan. :D My husband actually likes it when I prepare a list because it makes his life much easier! You picked out some pretties.

    Little Presidents Design said...

    Love your list! I wanted the vest too and am so bummed I didn't buy it when I first saw it!! Happy Tuesday! Xo, Ashley

    Ruth said...

    I love the list and this could come in handy if I get stumped at Christmas as your gift is already in the mail.

    XO

    Anonymous said...

    burberry handbags 455770 gucci store 42873 burberry outlet online 345809 chanel outlet 47093 http://burberry-outletsonline.blogspot.com/

    Ashley Harris said...

    How lovely that you picked that Haviland pattern! It was my great great grandmothers pattern. It was given to me when my grandmother passed. I have a dinner serving for 12, luncheon serving for 12 and coffee serving for 20. (Very difficult to find replacement pieces though!)

    Ashley Harris said...

    How lovely that you picked that Haviland pattern! It was my great great grandmothers pattern. It was given to me when my grandmother passed. I have a dinner serving for 12, luncheon serving for 12 and coffee serving for 20. (Very difficult to find replacement pieces though!)