• Slideshow Widget

    Recipe: Triple-Layer Coconut Cake

    Thursday, April 18, 2013

    Not too long ago my dear friend, Maria, invited me to her house for coffee. Always a well-heeled hostess, she had her finest china out, Cafe du Monde brewing, lively Italian tunes playing, and from the kitchen came the most amazing smells. It may be important for me to tell you that Maria is an amazing cook. There isn't anything she can't do and do well.

    After a lovely morning of enjoying each other's company and delicious food, she gave me a big smile, excused herself, and returned with the most beautiful looking coconut cake I'd ever seen. She had mentioned she was making one, but I'll confess: while I love the flavor of coconut, I'm not such a big fan of the flakes. But when she set this beautiful, fluffy cake in front of me it was all I could do to not dive in face first. Because that would have been attractive, right? Right.

    I can't describe the smell other than being incredibly tropical. It reminded me of lying on the beaches in Hawaii. And every bite was incredibly moist and delicious! The secret, Maria revealed, was the coconut milk. It prevented the cake from drying out, and as we discovered with our leftovers, continued to make the depth of flavor more and more intense.

    madsbirthday

    So are you ready to bake?

    It's a very simple recipe, and though a little time intensive, is worth every. Single. Bite...I mean moment.

    Triple-Layer Coconut Cake

    ~1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic White Cake Mix
    ~1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
    ~4 large egg whites
    ~2 cans Duncan Hines Creamy Home Style Coconut Supreme Frosting (or if it's unavailable purchase white frosting and add coconut extract until you reach the deisred flavor)
    ~1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes

    1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 3 8-inch-round baking pans.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, blend the cake mix, coconut milk and egg whites. Beat with mixer. Pour batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 18-21 minutes.
    3. Cool layers in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out of pan to cool completely before frosting.
    4. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread a thin layer of coconut frosting on top and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of coconut. Repeat with second layer. Top with the third layer and frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle remaining coconut on top and sides of cake.

    madsbirthday3

    Remember how mentioned how I wasn't the biggest fan of coconut flakes? Friends, if you're in the same boat as I was, then prepared to become a convert. This cake was so good it lasted less than three days~and this is no small, single layer cake. In fact, this was the cake my ever loayl red-velvet cake loving daughter requested for her 13th birthday. Still not convinced? Make it just once!

    You'll be glad you did.

    One Response to “
    Recipe: Triple-Layer Coconut Cake

    Gramspearls said...

    Oh, my goodness. Coconut cake is my favorite (husband's is Red Velvet). This sounds extraordinary. I printed the recipe. When we visit Charleston, the first thing we do is buy a 'piece' of Planter's Inn coconut cake for me and a whole Red Velvet cake from Harris Tetter for him....now that's a vacation right there!

    Warmly, Kathleen