• Slideshow Widget

    Five on Friday: First Week of School

    Friday, August 30, 2013

    As I'm jumping back into writing, I decided to join a few friends and link up with Darci from "The Good Life". This first week of school has been very busy, so I thought I'd share what we've been up to. Friends, welcome to Five on Friday!



    ONE~Rebel Football!!!

    scott

    There is nothing more wonderful about summer than when it nears its end. Sorry y'all. I'm just not a summer girl. I have this thing about the heat~I don't like it. Blessedly, the arrival of college football signifys that the days of sweltering heat are almost over. Instagram has been all a-buzz this week with the first games of the season, and happily, my alma mater, Ole Miss, played one of the first. The first SEC vs SEC game, in fact. Our boys in red & blue travelled to Nashville to play Vanderbilt, and you know what? WE WON!!!! It was an extraordinarily tense game and though premature, is being touted as what will be the best game of the SEC season. Considering all the press the game has gotten, all I can say to that is: HOTTY TODDY, REBELS!! Our boys were phenomenal and deserved their victory.

    TWO~Back to School

    firstday

    When the first day of school arrives, not only am I awash with emotion, but without fail, that song from Grease 2 pops into my head. You know the one, "Back to School". Whoa, whoa, I've gotta go back to school again! It was running through my mind the entire time both children got ready for their days back on campus. The scallywag had an entire new school and class of friends to take in, while Eldest returned as an 8th grader to her old stomping grounds. She's at the top of the food chain, as she likes to say. Now with their first week behind them, I'm pleased to report that both are very happy and doing great. It makes the school years much easier when your little ones actually like to go, and I pray it's a trend that continues.

    THREE~The Boo-Hoo Brunch

    boohoobrunch1

    I always cry a little on the first day of school. Much as we're all ready for the return, there's something about watching the children go on their own that pulls at my heartstrings. This year I decided to bolster the spirits of not only myself, but a few friends, and host our very first Boo-Hoo Brunch. No tears were shed during our gathering, but there was tons of laughter and food. The idea was for everyone to bring one item and I'd provide drinks and some delicious pumpkin spice muffins. What can I say? I am really ready for Fall. What wound up happening was a plan for monthly get-togethers. How's that for a nice outcome? It's certainly nothing to boo-hoo at.

    FOUR~Pumpkin Spice Muffins

    boohoobrunch

    While everyone and their grandmother is posting pictures of the early arrival of Pumpkin Spice Latte's at Starbucks, it's just not happening in SoCal. Fine by me! I can get my fix another way: homemade pumpkin spice muffins. Now this is a really complex recipe, y'all, so get ready to write your hand off. Are you ready? Mix 2 eggs, one can of puréed pumpkin, and a box of spice cake mix. Blend until smooth, scoop into your muffin tins, and bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes. See? Complex. They'll look a bit strange, but are very moist and delightfuly delicious. Put a dollop of whipped cinnamon cream cheese atop if you're feeling a little wild, then enjoy!

    FIVE~The Happy Gram

    happygram

    My son is a strong-willed child. This means we get to experience the up's and down's that come with having such a trait. One day he's stubborn as heck, the next he's easy going. It depends. I'd like to say that's the condition of a 5 year old boy, but as he's my one and only, it may be just him. He's a darling with a heart of gold, and I know that some of the quirks that give me fits on occasion will temper in time. But it gives him so much incentive to keep doing well when he receives a praise from his teacher. Positive reinforcement isn't a bad thing, y'all, I don't care what anybody says. Can I tell you how big his smile was when he showed-off his Happy Gram yesterday? He was over the moon with his little orange sheet of paper. He knew he'd been putting forth his best effort all day long, and his teacher did, too. Hooray for a great first week!

    Friends, I hope whatever corner of the world you're in, your weekend ahead is a lovely one. Take care, and as always, thanks for stopping by.

    Cheers!

    4 Responses to “
    Five on Friday: First Week of School

    Casey Liadis said...

    Beth - very happy to see you're ack on the blog!!! I'm trying to get back into the habit myself. Summer seems to filled with so many other things!!

    Ruth said...

    Last night was stressing and exciting all at once.
    HOTTY TODDY!!!

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Casey,

    I'm happy to be back. Summer was unexpectedly busy, but a more structured schedule helps. I hope you're doing well back in Charlotte. All my best...

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Ruth,

    Wasn't it though? So stressful. Here's to a great and easy game this weekend. Love you!