• Slideshow Widget

    The First Day of School

    Wednesday, August 28, 2013

    firstday

    Living in California means we've watched all our friends back home reutrn to school earlier in the month as our summer continued. But now their day has come: today my children head back to their respective schools. This morning always dawns with a bittersweet feeling for me, but ends up being eclipsed by my children's excitement. It's contagious.

    Y'all should know that this is a very big year. Eldest is beginning 8th grade while the scallywag is entering Kindergarten. Be still my heart. Cliche as it is, they really do grow so fast.

    firstday1

    To help the children through this first morning of the new school year a delicious breakfast of eggs and bacon was a must. To help the mother's, I decided to host a Boo-Hoo Brunch. After all, I know I'm not the only one of my friends who gets a tear in their eyes while dropping off their little ones. It's time for us to come together for support and sustenance.

    More on that later! Despite my own mixed feelings, the children are happy, and that makes the transition into a new year much easier. Seeing their smiles, hearing their laughter~there is nothing better. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry...because I always cry. I'm so proud of my children, who they are, how much they continue to inspire me. My heart sometimes aches for their much younger years, but it's quickly pushed aside everytime I have a meaningful conversation with my daughter or hear a really funny joke from my son. I love watching them grow.

    firstday2

    I'll leave you with this sweet poem the scallywag's new teacher, Mrs. Rodarte, sent home with us. It's touching and just might bring a tear to your eye. A lovely day to you all.

    I gave you a little wink and a smile as you came into my room that day,
    For I know how hard it is to leave and know your child must stay.
    You've been with them for 5 years now and have been a loveing guide,
    But now, alas, the time has come to leave them at my side.
    Just know that as you drive away and tears down your cheeks may flow,
    I'll love them as I do my own and help them learn to grow.
    So please put your mind at ease and cry those tears no more,
    For I will love them and take them in when you leave them at my door.

    4 Responses to “
    The First Day of School

    Ruth said...

    Wonderful post. I love the scallywags grin. I hope they both have a wonderful first day

    Mrs. Cozy Home said...

    My two girls will also be in Kindergarten and 8th grade in a matter of years and it's good preparation to read this post! :)

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Ruth, you're always so sweet! Both children had a wonderful day, thank you, doll.

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Mrs. Cozy Home, as I know what you're looking forward to, I know every moment will be savored! They are both amazing ages. Enjoy your time with your girls!