• Slideshow Widget

    Apple Cider Donuts

    Tuesday, October 22, 2013

    For several weeks I've had it in in the back of my mind that this would be the Fall I'd try and make donuts. I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to these sweet goodies, so it took some time to decide upon a recipe. After searching a few websites and my pantry one thing became clear: it would have to involve apple cider. Enter Pinterest and several of my favorite bloggers. There were an abundance of apple cider donut recipes being posted, each with different methods being used. I didn't want to spend too much time making something from scratch that was going to be an epic failure or stress creator, so for my first attempt, I utilized quick and easy method. This is also known as using what's on hand~which in my case were Pilsbury buscuits.

    I assure you, no one was disappointed, and it was completely stress free. And the best part? My five year old was able to play sous chef to his heart's content. Try your hand at these delicious donuts from the Freutcake blog and enjoy!

    donut

    5 Ingredient Apple Cider Doughnuts
    Makes 16 mini-doughnuts

    2 cups apple cider
    1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 (16-ounce) rolls refrigerator biscuits, such as Grands Original Biscuits
    Vegetable oil, for frying

    Directions:
    Make the glaze: Bring the apple cider to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl, add the confectioners’ sugar and whisk until smooth; set aside. Make the cinnamon sugar: In a separate small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Make the doughnuts: Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350˚. Meanwhile, separate the refrigerator biscuits and cut each into a doughnut using a small doughnut cutter (this is the one I used!) or by stamping out the biscuit centers with a small circle cookie cutter, they’ll just be a little larger that way. (Save the centers for making doughnut holes! Just follow the steps below using the little dough rounds.) Working in batches, slip 3 or 4 doughnuts at a time into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side, adjusting the heat as needed. Transfer to paper towels or a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet to catch any excess oil. One at a time, dip both sides of 1 doughnut in the cider glaze, letting the excess drip off. Press both sides in the cinnamon sugar to coat completely. Serve warm—they’re best that way!—or store at room temperature for up to 1 day.

    Confesssion time: besides my son, I was the only one really excited about eating our homemade donuts. When I mentioned what I was making, my husband began having not-so-thrilling flashbacks to Cub Scout days and our daughter's response was pretty lukewarm. Then they each took a bite and the rest, as they say, is history. We only made 8, and we're now down to 2.

    Does this mean our foray into donut making was a success? I think so. They were a perfectly delicious taste of Fall.

    One Response to “
    Apple Cider Donuts

    Ruth said...

    These sound amazing.