• Slideshow Widget

    King Cake

    Friday, January 17, 2014

    kingcake1

    Only two days ago I mentioned to one of my oldest, dearest friends how I planned to make a King Cake with the children this weekend. It would be a fun and delicious effort for us all. I was a little daunted by the task ahead, but knew as long as the flavor and colors were there, that's all anyone would care about. So imagine my surprise when I returned home yesterday with the scallywag and his friend to find a very familiar box sitting on our front porch! Delighted doesn't begin to cover it. Seeing the familiar Haydel's Bakery King Cake box made us all do a happy dance...right before we ran inside to cut a slice.

    kingcake

    My friends, there is nothing like your first taste of the Carnival season~or your second for that matter. My parents are sweet to send us our King Cakes each year. It usually doesn't take us very long to finish one of these seasonal treats from home, and every year we look forward to their arrival. We have our favorite, and we love it, but this year we're going to branch out and try some new King Cakes as well. My parents suggested Randazzo's, but I'd love to know from the rest of you where you like to get your favorite slices of purple, green, and gold.

    kingcake2

    kingcake3

    Any recomendations?

    5 Responses to “
    King Cake

    Ruth said...

    I wish I could reach through the screen for a slice. Are you still going to try your hand at making one this season?

    Andie said...

    Definitely Hi-Do, which is a small bakery on the west bank. They even make fleur de lis shaped king cakes!!

    Give them a try!

    Katherine said...

    Of course I miss McKenzie's but I love Haydel's and Randazzo's! A friend hand delivered from NOLA a fresh Sucre one and it was very yummy too. I am very partial to my mom's homemade ones though. I'll see if she will share the recipe!

    Julie said...

    I make one every year. My mom insists on it.

    Gramspearls said...

    We always have one sent from Randazzo's every year....all the way up to Ohio. I had the baby last year so, I will order (but then I always do).

    They are soooooo good and we save the cup, coins and beads that come with the cake. Now we have quite a collection. I know you'll enjoy this one!

    Warmly, Kathleen