• Slideshow Widget

    Morning Coffee

    Monday, January 13, 2014

    It's a well known fact that I'm a bit of a coffee addict. I love a good cup to begin every day, and could enjoy it fine by myself. But where's the fun in that? Why not share what you love with the people you love spending time with?

    coffee3

    It's not uncommon for me to have a few people over for coffee during the week. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules to hosting a coffee get-togther, but for the most part I like keeping it intimate and simple. My mornings aren't crazy, but they are full. Any time I host, no matter the size, planning a little ahead of time helps so attention is on my friends and not somewhere else~like the kitchen. Most of the time it works out, but sometimes it doesn't. To help save time, I try to have the bulk of the food prepared and on their respective plates. Linens, silverware, and dishes will be on the table. Preparing the coffee and setting out sugars and creamers can wait until right before everyone arrives.

    coffee1

    Keeping the food uncomplicated is key. I enjoy serving fresh fruits, a bread or muffin of some sort, juice, and something sugary to accompany the coffee. Since we usually gather right after dropping the children at their shcools, most of us haven't eaten breakfast. Needless to say everyone is hungry, and once we're all together we're ready to dish~in more ways than one.

    coffee2

    It's really nice to catch up with friends while the little ones are at school. Adult time is important, and having uninterrupted conversation is as well. Heads feel a bit clearer afterwards, thoughts are less frazzled, we feel a lot lighter. I think some of the funniest, most heart-breaking conversations I've ever had have been over coffee. Whether it's one on one or a group of us, there is something very special about that time, and I wouldn't change these mornings for anything in the world. Watching my friends leave with smiles on their faces and laughter in their voices makes the me feel as if we're all ready to tackle anything the day chooses to throw at us. And boy the doozies I've been thrown in the past!

    This morning as I type I'm nursing a sick little boy back to health. Winter colds are almost worse than the Summer ones. But we'll get through it. Today we'll enjoy cuddles, lots of Disney Junior, and juice. The scallywag will be back to his old self in no time. Until then, I'm going to enjoy this extra alone time with my son...and perhaps a cup of coffee.

    Happy Monday all!

    4 Responses to “
    Morning Coffee

    Your Southern Peach said...

    Wish you lived closer and we could have a coffee date :)

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Amy, I do, too!

    Ruth said...

    No doubt you are your mother's child.

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Ruth,

    You do say the sweetest things. It's a compliment I hold dear to my heart.

    Love you,

    Moi