• Slideshow Widget

    An Afternoon of Scones

    Saturday, May 24, 2014

    scones5

    You were all asking for it, so here it is: the marvelous recipe for butterscotch scones with vanilla sea salt glaze. May you all enjoy it as much as my family and I!

    Since the arrival of the invitaion from The Peninsula, afternoon tea~and all the lovely treats that go along with it~have been on our minds. The dainty sandwiches, the dessert plate with a glass of champagne, and of course, the scones. For years I've been preparing scones as I was taught by my mother. It's a delicious recipe which may or may not have been given to her by someone who runs an establishment well-known for their High Tea's. In any case, I'm normally one to live by the "if it's not broken don't fix it" adage, but I decided to branch out and try something new.

    scones

    If you aren't already following Jenny Steffens Hobick's blog Everyday Occasions, you really should. She has a tremendous amount of talent in the kitchen (as well as other areas), and it's her basic recipe for scones that I used. After getting rave reviews accross the board from my family, it's definitely one I'll prepare again! Here is what you need with my own notes added:

    Basic Scones Recipe
    2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
    2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup cold heavy cream
    *1 cup butterscotch chips
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    *1/4 tsp sea salt
    *1/3 tsp vanilla

    In a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt using the paddle attachment. Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch pieces. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until the butter is mixed in and is the size of peas. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs and whipping cream with a fork. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the cream and egg mixture. Turn off the mixer once added. Fold in butterscotch chips.

    Put some flour on the counter (1/3 cup should be more than enough). Turn the dough out onto the floured surface. Add some flour onto the top of the dough, then pat it out into a disk - about 8-9 inches in diameter. Cut the disk into 6-8 pieces like a pie.

    scones3

    Separate the pieces and put them on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
    To make the glaze, stir together powdered sugar, 2 tablesspoons heavy cream or milk, vanilla, and sea salt. Spoon atop your warm scones and watch it slowly drip down the sides. It is a thing of beauty.

    scones6

    scones9

    The most important step, though, happens when you share with those you love. I may have made a mistake in preparing these a little too close to dinner time, but as long as everyone was happy and full I think my mistake can be forgiven.

    scones8

    A few things to note: the sea salt I used came in a grinder so when it went into the glaze/dough it came out looking like normal table salt. You do not want chunky pieces in your mixtures. What could be less appetizing than biting into a piece of unground salt? Also, if you want a lighter glaze on your scones, add more liquid. Milk will create a thinner glaze than cream, so you do have options if some people don't care for a heavy topping.

    I hope you all enjoy this recipe. It's not often I have all four members in my family agreeing on food. For me it's a litmus test of sorts, and this one passed with flying colors. We're already planning on making them again, though this time with seasonal berries. I think blackberry scones sounds scrumptious~especially if served with my mother's lemon curd.

    What do you think?

    scones7

    *my additions to original recipe

    One Response to “
    An Afternoon of Scones

    Ruth said...

    My mouth is watering.