• Slideshow Widget

    An Invitation to Afternoon Tea at The Peninsula

    Thursday, May 22, 2014

    peninsula4

    With Madeline's graduation from 8th grade just around the corner, we've had a few questions regarding gifts. It's not senior year, but the transition from Middle to High School is pretty big. Clearly we're not the only ones who think so! One gift has already left a great impression upon her.

    peninsula2

    When I was younger, my mother took the time to educate me on the value of quiet moments with another person. It sounds strange, but some of the best experiences with someone else can be had when conversation is small. There is something more meaningful in those occasions; they seem to leave a greater impression. I grew up on afternoon teas at Windsor Court in New Orleans. There didn't seem to be an occasion that warranted most; often she'd pick me up from school and I'd do the very Catholic school girl thing of changing in the back of the car. We'd visit on birthday's, Mother's Day, Christmas...but the most memorable moments were the ones that were just because.

    peninsula

    We continued the practice at home, and I promised myself if I had a daughter I would carry on this beloved tradition. Madeline is our third generation tea enthusiast, and as she has enjoyed some of the finest at establishments around the globe, her palate has certainly been cultivated. Needless to say, when my parents agreed to gift Madeline with an afternoon of High Tea at The Peninsula in Beverly Hills, I couldn't say yes fast enough. It was incredibly thoughtful, and I knew Madeline would love it.

    Yesterday, a note from The Peninsula arrived. Madeline was excited by the mail, and took her time reading through the very sweet invitation to tea on behalf of the hotel. It's a great momento. It's also a little funny as they mispelled her name throughout. You have to laugh at these things, and thankfully, Madeline's humor is very much intact. If nothing else, it really makes the story behind her letter a bit more interesting.

    peninsula1

    Our afternoon out won't be until June, but you can be certain that Madeline, my mother, and I will savor each moment. Like I said, sometimes the quieter ones with the people you love are the best. Thank you, Mom and Daddy. We know this will be an afternoon we'll always remember.

    3 Responses to “
    An Invitation to Afternoon Tea at The Peninsula

    Heather said...

    I remember you taking M for tea as a toddler in TN. I hope you enjoy your special afternoon!

    Heather said...

    I remember you taking M for tea as a toddler in TN. I hope you enjoy your afternoon with each other!

    Ruth said...

    I know it will be enjoyed by all. I am glad your mother is getting to go too.