• Slideshow Widget

    Recipe: Baked Eggs in Avocado Cups

    Saturday, May 17, 2014

    bakedav

    Isn't it funny what stays in the corner of your mind after a visit to Pinterest? For me it usually involves food or a little DIY project. This afternoon I needed a lighter lunch, and since I had an avocado on hand, I knew exactly what I was going to prepare. These little avocado cups with baked eggs have been near the top of my baking list for a while, and this afternoon I finally got around to fixing them.

    I'll admit the first one was a little bland, but with a little extra seasoning and a few dashes of hot sauce the second one was creamy and delicious. This is a very simple meal and your topping options are endless. It doesn't hurt that it's also very healthy! Preheat your oven to 425, then split your avocado in half. The larger your avocado, the better. After you remove the pit, carefully crack your eggs one at a time into a bowl. You will use a spoon to carefully remove the yolk from the whites and place it into the space left by the pit. Scoop a little egg white around it as well. To accommodate more egg whites you may need to scoop out a little avocado, about an inch. As you can see in my pictures my avocados were smaller so there was little egg white to be seen. Be sure to season your egg and avocado cup with salt, pepper, and whatever other seasoning your prefer. Pop it into the oven for 13-18 minutes, remove, then enjoy! If you want your yolks to be on the runnier side, I suggest cooking them between 9-10 minutes.

    When the days grow hotter the last thing you want to do is spend much time over a hot stove. Baked eggs in avocado cups were a great solution to the "what to eat" question, and very easy to fix. Even if you're not a huge avocado lover, you'll enjoy the ease in making this dish. Enjoy!

    bakedav1