• Slideshow Widget

    Tree Trimming

    Sunday, November 30, 2014

    tree1

    One of my friends was talking with me about traditions, and it made me think. Being Southern or otherwise we all have them. Maybe it's because I grew up with holidays steeped in them, but they do seem to make holidays so much richer and enjoyable. Wouldn't you agree? No matter how big or small, it's the rituals we hold dear to us that make our celebrations special.

    tree

    My childhood was one magical season after the other, and because of that, I made a promise to myself that as a parent I would create similar moments for my own children. So far, so good. We love to celebrate. There is no holiday too big or too small: we embrace them all. The day after Thanksgiving we enter into the Christmas season with great excitement. There is something electric in the air when the tree is pulled out. Due to allergies it's an artificial one, but we love it. Pre-lit, easy management, no pine-needles or water to worry about...it's pretty nice. And each year as we begin to decorate, I follow my mother around as she places ribbon here, glittery branches there. The end result~with everyone's involvement~is a beautiful symbol of the season that positively glows! Enjoy pictures from this year's tree trimming and Happy Christmas to you all!

    tree2

    tree3

    tree4

    tree5

    tree6

    tree7

    tree8

    tree9

    tree10

    tree11

    tree12

    These two are snug as little bugs by the glow of our tree. They love participating in our yearly tradition, and are anticipating one of the others I'm working on as I type: the making of the hot-buttered rum. I'll be back next week with this creamy and delicious wintry treat. But before that, I'll share my tips and tricks for decorating the tree on a budget. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, all.

    tree14

    5 Responses to “
    Tree Trimming

    Lynda Pringle said...

    Gorgeous and elegant tree!! I decorated my tree like that one year with the white lights and gold/white ornaments motifs. John did not like it; he prefers the multi-colored lights and colorful ornaments as that is the tree of his childhood but your tree is so elegant and well put together. I am glad the kids are really getting into the Christmas spirit. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    Alisa Bleske said...

    Gorgeous! I want your mother to come over to my house so she can decorate my tree and I can follow HER around!

    So question, because each year I wrestle with this, how do you save your elegant tree from ornaments that are given or made for you? Or from the kids?

    Alisa Bleske said...

    Gorgeous! I want your mother to come over to my house so she can decorate my tree and I can follow HER around!

    So question, because each year I wrestle with this, how do you save your elegant tree from ornaments that are given or made for you? Or from the kids?

    Elizabeth Quon said...

    Hi Alisa!

    We actually have a smaller tree that we put our personal ornaments on. One of those sweet table-top trees. We love the ornaments from friends and the children, but we hate feeling like we have to choose whose to put up. The table top tree saved us the headache, and the kids have a great time decorating it each year.

    I hope this helps!

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    Ruth said...

    Beautiful as always.